Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our family vehicle is a 2014 JKU. I'm looking for a cargo rack that will get minimum use. Mainly a couple times a year when my family of 4 travels with the german shepherd, or for out of town baseball tournaments where a bunch of gear, ice chests, and a EZ up tent will go along. I don't really want a heavy duty rack that requires drilling into the body or new hard top, and I'd rather not get one with the long arms that mount to the rear bumper and windshield area.

I found this Surco rack and it looks to be exactly what I need. No drilling, and easy to remove and store when not in use. Does anyone have any experience with this rack?

Surco Safari Hardtop Rack for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

·
Registered
40 Posts
I like mine for the most part. The only issue is that I bought mine without the crate/open box that sits on top of the rails (you can buy the pieces individually on amazon), and it whistles pretty loudly without something to fill the slot in the crossbars. I put a ski carrier or kayak on top of mine. I managed to do the installation solo pretty easily. The only thing that is a pain is tightening the nuts and bolts for the towers/brackets.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'd be a bit concerned about damaging the hardtop. Adding weight up that high is going to apply some side-side stress to the top as well as the weight itself. I'm not thinking it's a good idea.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd be a bit concerned about damaging the hardtop. Adding weight up that high is going to apply some side-side stress to the top as well as the weight itself. I'm not thinking it's a good idea.
Yea, and I agree. I'm talking duffle bags with clothes. The light but bulky stuff. I'm not sure I'd stick any heavy stuff up there, if for no other reason than it's heavy and would be difficult to load and unload without a flip rack.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yea, and I agree. I'm talking duffle bags with clothes. The light but bulky stuff. I'm not sure I'd stick any heavy stuff up there, if for no other reason than it's heavy and would be difficult to load and unload without a flip rack.
You're original post mentioned ice chest and easy up, not really that light unless the ice chest is empty ;-)

Maybe a hitch (if you don't have one) and a hitch basket for the heavy stuff..

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, unfortunately ice chest and stuff will have to go in back with the dog. Or like you said a hitch rack.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I looked at that and similar solutions and ended up going with tracks on the roof along with crossbars. I was concerned about the integrity of the raingutter mount with relatively large load up there, although I don't have any specific data to say it's a problem. A bit more to the installation than what you're considering. I've got a cargo basket and cargo box that I can put up there, and I've hauled up to 3 sit on top kayaks. I also reinforced the track mount points with an aluminum backer plate so the load is well distributed. This seemed to leave the hard top to tub connections as the potential weak point, so I upgraded those too. Here's a write-up if you're interested in this alternative.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/rhino-rack-roof-system-install-263519.html

·
Registered
312 Posts
A Yakima or Thule rain gutter system would probably be cheaper than the surco.

Rain gutter mounts will cause some damage though and the surco looks as if it will leave a lot of marks when removed. Why I went with tracks.

I went with Yakima but did the tracks over the rain gutter towers. Once you drill the first hole the others come easy lol. Cost $320 for everything and wouldn't think the rain gutter option would be much different in price.

Towers and crossbars come off in minutes on mine if want them removed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts