Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's off of Craigslist already talked to the seller who's holding it for me it's 5 hour drive both ways does it seem worth it?
" have a Jeep TJ Dana 44 that I pulled from a wrecked Jeep at a junkyard a few years back. I was gonna clean it up and see if I could sell it for $1000-$1200, but I haven't found the time to do this, and now I need it out of the way. It is a factory axle with, I believe, 3.73 gears and a limited slip. It also has disc brakes, but needs rotors, pads, and maybe shoes (for the parking brakes) maybe needs calipers. The axle seems to be straight, but two of the brackets are bent (see the pictures). This includes a welded on track bar drop bracket. Also the caliper dust shields are chewed up. Everything turns easily without resistance (that would be evident if the axle were bent) I am assuming the brackets were bent during the accident that totaled the Jeep. The brackets can easily be fixed or replaced by the right shop for a few hundred dollars. What you see is what you get. $650 firm. Axle is sold AS IS as I cant guarantee any part on a one-of-a-kind junkyard axle."

ForumRunner_20140509_103136.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_1741.jpg

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't think I would do it, I would do an 8.8, But that also depends on if you have any welding Skills, If you don't then I think I would do it. Just make sure the Tubes are not bent. If those brackets are the only damage then it is probley a ok deal. To me it seems a bit steep, but I have not priced Dana 44 for a TJ. Not to mention Having to drive 10 hours to get it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Buy axle + new brakes + fix bent mounts + regear + locker (optional) = a lot of $ if you're not doing it all yourself

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already have 3.73 so I wouldn't regear for a while so that I could buy a locker at the same time and thanks for the input I'm 50/50 on buying it or not

1 - 4 of 4 Posts