Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would look into the "out of state" a little more. How hard will it be to register? In some states if the sales tax paid is less than what is charged in the new state the difference has to be paid. Call your local registration office, before buying it. Other than that I do not know what used Jeeps are selling for in your area. You should also have it checked out by a mechanic before making a offer.

Best of luck

Jeremy

·
Registered
122 Posts
I bought my jeep here in California and it was registered in Arizona and all I had to do was get a smog which is needed when buying any used car here and the sales tax wasn't bad at all. Very easy to do and got my new plates right away

·
Registered
265 Posts
That is a thing of beauty. Scoop it up if the price is right

·
Registered
487 Posts
If you don't get it I will... I wish. Looks absolutely great! I wouldn't worry about the mileage, I have about 140k on mine, and some of the users on here have 200-300k. The I6 is pretty reliable.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
seems like a decent deal. couple of minor things: seller claims it has every option but it does not (auto trany, full doors, and hard top are some I do not see). Claimed to be all stock but obviously the bumpers are aftermarket and the factory fog lites are gone. says no rust but I do see sign of surface rust on the frame and areas of the floorpan.

but just from the pix and the price, seems like one to take a closer look at. good luck.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Seems strange to me that a Rubi would not have full doors, hardtop, and not even a switch for fog lights. Maybe I'm just naturally skeptical, but I guess you could check the V.I.N. it's in the pictures. The mileage wouldn't scare me, and it is a nice looking Jeep. Ask to see pictures of the differentials.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
^Fog lights would be standard but the rest is optional I believe. Sixth VIN digit should be a 6 for Rubicon.

There's and almost identical Rubicon at Lee's in Ellington with similar mileage, same color combo, asking price is $17,900. I just looked at it, it is in rough condition paint-wise and does not have the MTR's. So............

·
Registered
32 Posts
I see a huge problem. It's not in my garage next to my Sahara!

I got my 99 Sahara for $6000 (with 166k), but that truck is easily worth every penny he's asking.

I saw a 2004 Sahara near me in FL going for $1,000 more, and it had higher mileage.

Given the D44 axles in the Rubicon, you'd be crazy not to jump on that.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Confirmed rubicon.

Looks like a killer deal and since its a 04 you won't have to worry about the OPDA issue. Now he claims that its all stock and rust free. In his pictures you can see some rust, and obvious aftermarket parts. He also claims that it has every option, so its missing the full doors. Which is about 900 for both sides. Half doors go for like 500ish. If you do consider this, point out to the seller that it does not have every option as its missing the full doors AND the hardtop. Hardtop is another 600-900 whereas the softop goes for 200-500. You might be able to drop it down a little to an even better price. Good luck and make sure to check it out thoroughly! :thumb:

EDIT: By looking at the lower control arm mounts and the bottom of the belly skid plate you can tell if it has seen any rockcrawling.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am going to look at it tomorrow. A little over 2 hours from me. How does it sound for $10,000 and him replacing the rear tires? This is what we discussed.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I think you can get the price even lower a little bit. That rear window on the soft top looks to be in bad shape. Its all about communication really. Someone mentioned getting a mechanic to look at it. That would be ideal before making a decision. there are some used car buying guidelines online that might help you out....let us know if you end up buying or no.

GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
10k is a great price for a rubicon, its like a too good to be true type of offer. Try to find out why hes selling it, im always skeptical when something is too good to be true because it usually is. Make sure to test drive it and listen for anything that does not sound right. 04 Rubis go for 17k+ in my area!

·
Registered
179 Posts
The add says "no accidents", but if you look at the passenger side rear corner you can clearly see it's hit something.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The add says "no accidents", but if you look at the passenger side rear corner you can clearly see it's hit something.
X2 There's a good amount of damage on that corner. Talk him down another few hundred bucks for corner guards to cover it up lol.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
If he says, no damage and every option, I would list the missing options, and the obvious damage and offer him 9,500. Maybe even get an estimate repair for the damage, and get him to go down based on that repair. The rear bumper is definitely a aftermarket replacement probably because of the rear damage that you can see on the rear right side, and the bottom of the tire cover. But, it is still a nice looking Jeep. You know what they say, "Cash Talks". Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
What is up with that stuff above the windshield hinges? Almost looks like had something mounted there, but drilled into the windshield frame for something... I see a potential leak source there.

Right rear definitely hit something. May slid on ice and tapped something or tapped something backing up.

Never came with hard top as I don't see a defrost/wiper button.

No fog switch at all (maybe removed when tube bumpers installed?).

Soft top splotching/windows seem a bit hazy (can replace with a Trektop NX or sailcloth R-A-T).

Appears to be at LEAST surface rust on the frame... but I'm not sure if that is bad or not for up in NY. You have the VIN. Perhaps run a Carfax against it to see if anything was reported. It may even show when dealer did work on it. May be able to call a dealer and run the VIN to see maintenance records for it (if any) or any TSB/recall work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts