Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am looking into purchasing a trektop for my unlimited and getting rid of my hard top. I live in florida and would love to be able to take my top off, but i can't where I live. I'd like to purchase the trektop but don't know what it's like. is the loss of space worth the "fastback" look? or is oem better?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Fast back is the bomb. I had soft top on my first Jk and liked it. Then traded in for '12 jk hard top. Liked it but it was too inconvenient for me to take off the freedom panels and no place to store it so I sold it and put on the trektop nx. Going into sunrider position takes 1 minute. That was 90% of my driving. Taking off the back windows and back, the other 10% of the nice days.
I didn't notice the loss of potential cargo space. I have 3 dogs, and mostly the jeep to commute so I didn't NEED more cargo space though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Can you completely take off the Trektop easily like the OEM soft top?

Do the windows fold and easy stow?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also does the trektop fold all the way back or does it stay up and just can have the front folded back and the windows unzipped? i'd like something that folds 100% back easily

·
Registered
200 Posts
Trektop doesn't fold all the way back. Just the front folds at the soundbar.

You can take the whole top off pretty easily. Couple of clips and pins to pull. No more than a 5-10 min job.

I find that the back window rolls up nicely, but the windows don't have fold as well. They have a rigid internal piece to give the panel some shape where it meets the back window. You can sort of roll them up and stash them in the back, but not as neatly as the rear window.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Agreed with above. The top does not come all the way down like the factory top, but it is super easy to just put it into sunrider position. Even when I had the factory soft top, I put the top in sunrider position much more often then all the way back.

The windows unzip easily and can be thrown in the back. You can remove all windows and the back, and leave the top on as a bikini type top too.

If you want to take the top off and stow it in a garage, I personally think it is lighter and easier to do than doing the same than the factory top. I did that once when I needed to haul something awkwardly shaped that was higher than the top would allow.

If you want a top that can roll all the way back, get an old generation trektop. It velcros in place and is not a flip back type top. You can roll it back to sunrider or roll it back all the way or take it off all together without the frame.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The Trektop is awesome but it takes a little getting used to and untill it stretches it is a pain in the azz to put on and zip it all up. It only takes about 2 minutes to ge tit into Bikini top mode and if you flip the top back sun roof mode is also cool and easy. Once stretched it is not too bad putting the windows on and off

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just purchased a trektop NX at the show this past weekend.

The besttop guys emphasized that you have to let it sit in the sun for 3 hours to loosen up. And that it will most likely take 2 people to fasten the front the first time or two. Once the top stretches, it will be easy for 1 person. The more you can leave it in the sun, the better to help it relax.

They also suggested watching the installation video on their website.

Weather and other factors pending (need to make room for hard top), hoping to install mine this weekend.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How well does the older and newer trektop keep the rain out?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I dont have teh trektop but I do have the ORH fast back and I love it. Now you do lose some space in the back but if I am hauling something I just take the whole top off. The back bar does get in the way when lifting stuff in the jeep but with 2 people its not an issue.

With living in Pittsburgh I decided to keep my hardtop for the winter months but in your case I would rock the soft top all year long!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is there a top out there that will fold back like oem? does your orh? maybe another brand? does the original trektop? i'm a little confused on whether or not the original trek top does.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have had the trektop installed on my 2 door sahara for 5 months now. There is good and bad. It is a lot easier to have 2 people doing the install, and it does need to sit in the sun. You will slowly have to work the zippers down each day.

On my 2 door, there isnt much loss in headroom...not space that would be used anyway.

It is very easy to get in bikini mode, which is what I wanted. I rarely go completely topless. Takes about 3-4 min to take side panels off and stow. Takes about 10 minutes to put back on. The only thing I dont like about it is that since I took the sides/back off the first time, everytime I try to put them back on I can seem to get the side panels to wrap around door jamb like it is supposed to....or like i did the first time. Since I cant get them on all the way, there is a little gap in the upper rear corner of both doors. Haven't had them leak yet...but you can see the gap from inside.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I was wondering if the trektop nx has a "envelope" in the ceiling to put windows in to store them? That would be a great idea if it did..

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
I have had the trektop installed on my 2 door sahara for 5 months now. There is good and bad. It is a lot easier to have 2 people doing the install, and it does need to sit in the sun. You will slowly have to work the zippers down each day.

On my 2 door, there isnt much loss in headroom...not space that would be used anyway.

It is very easy to get in bikini mode, which is what I wanted. I rarely go completely topless. Takes about 3-4 min to take side panels off and stow. Takes about 10 minutes to put back on. The only thing I dont like about it is that since I took the sides/back off the first time, everytime I try to put them back on I can seem to get the side panels to wrap around door jamb like it is supposed to....or like i did the first time. Since I cant get them on all the way, there is a little gap in the upper rear corner of both doors. Haven't had them leak yet...but you can see the gap from inside.
yep... i have the same... thankfully it doesn't leak. i love my trektop. i've had it for i guess a little over a year... holds up well. and i've abused it with some overgrown trails. no holes or anything... :thumb:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I have noted any leakage issues but I am sure that it is not as water tight as the hard top--but I did not buy it to keep all the water out --just most of it

·
Registered
20 Posts
I love my Trektop. I use a hard top in the winter and put the trektop on in the summer. I have only had water come in mine once when I was parked with the back end facing a hard blowing rain. I think the rain came in under the back flap and ran down where I didn't have it Zipped all the way. I have only one issue with the top. When you have a cross wind the back section will start to flap. Not a concern with a 2 door but something to think about on a 4 door. Storage space is fine you only lose a little bit of stacking room. I can still fit 5 days worth of camping gear for a family of 4.

·
Registered
281 Posts
is there a top out there that will fold back like oem? does your orh? maybe another brand? does the original trektop? i'm a little confused on whether or not the original trek top does.
The ORH does not fold back. Let me try and explain this top. There are 2 top sections that meet over the soundbar. The front section rolls forward and is locked in place my clips. I havent had any wind issues at all when its rolled up. The back top section (sound bar to the back) is removed totally.

Then there is a section that is the fastback which can also be removed along with the windows.

You can run a ton of different combinations. You can have the top on with no windows and no back. Just the front section on. You can have the rear windows in with the fastback in as well with no top.

The install was a pain but after that I can take/put back on the top in no time!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Mine only leaked when I first got it and wasn't strong enough to stretch the back window enough to hook the tailgate bar. I left it just dangling which left a gap. Of course it rained overnight. :)

That only happened cuz i was excited to get it on and ignored the "must install when temp is 70+ degrees. DON'T ignore that. You will NOT be able to get it all the way on. Even with a couple hair dryers and a heat lamp. Trust me.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
haha i live in florida and it is pretty much always 90 out so i won't have that problem but thank you for the tip

1 - 20 of 20 Posts