Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are numerous threads out there, but I'd like to get personalized advice, since I can't find anything that applies directly to my situation. I'm trying to plan out a spreadsheet with what my next upgrades should be. What I'd really like to do first is get 33's on her. I was thinking that a Zone 4.25" Combo lift (3" sus, 1.25" body) would be the ideal lift for me, considering its supposed good quality and cheaper price tag. I have 4.10 gears currently. 99% of my driving is to and from work/school, and the highest speeds I reach daily would be around 45-50 mph. I would run the 4.10/33's setup for a few months until I had the money to regear...

Questions:

- I know that a regear to 4.88's is optimal, but does anyone have experience with 4.10 gears and 33's on a 4cyl?

-Which should come first, the regear or the lift/tires?

Thanks for any responses/experiences, and sorry for another cliche "What should I do?" thread. I just want to do things right the first time.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Well, from my experience(none in jeepin, but I've been around a lot of regearing/bigger tires lol) I would say that it's more or less up to you. If you regear first you will get a lot quicker acceleration, but your top end will be dropped drastically.. If you get bigger tires first you will have no balls at the bottom end, but crusing at highway speed would be a lot lower rpms..

Now given that the 2.5 isn't by anymeans a powerhouse, I myself would regear first..

I may be totally wrong but that is my take on it..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also have to get under the Jeep, jack it up, and check the gear ratio manually. There is no tag on the differential and I know that the first owner started to try to build it like a Rubicon. Using equations and calculators online, I have got around a 4.42 gear ratio with my estimated 3100 rpm at 60 mph in 4th gear. I may possibly have 4.56's? Instead of the 4.10 stock gears...?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that... It reassures me that I won't be too bad off without regearing for a couple months. Approximately what gears get you to what speeds?

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
I don't really pay attention to the gear/rpm/speed, but I can do 65-70mph in 4th on the freeway without the motor feeling like it going to come apart. lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With my nearly stock tires, I have to be at roughly 3100 rpm to go 70 in 5th. Going from tires close to stock to 33s, am I going to notice a huge amount of change in feathering the clutch?

·
Registered
133 Posts
My first tj 4cyl I had 4.10s and 33s. I was alright on acceleration, and could still do 65 -70 in 4th gear, but 5th gear was completely useless. My new tj another 4cyl, has 4.88 and 35s and it has ALOT more power and acceleration. And I can actually use 5th gear. Top end is still about the same. Either way you'll be ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts