Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im converting my stroker to a TBI. i found a complete 2006 TJ 4.0 throttle body, intake and fuel rail with injectors and throttle cable brackets on EBAY for $80. now what wiring do i need to convert it? the 93 and later YJ with a 4.0 had a TBI...can i use that wiring? do i need a complete wiring harness? from what year do I need the harness from? do i have to hook up all the sensors since it have removed all the stuff on my computer?

any help would be appreciated

curt

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I don't know bus I just went with Howell so much better and easier. Hope everything goes we'll

·
Registered
442 Posts
Might could take a factory 4.0 harness and cut it down to be stand alone. Don't know how to advise you to do it but it seems very doable. The Howell kit pretty much uses a 4.3 Chevy harness I think, I know its a 4.3 throttle body. ELMOSYJ should know more about that than me though.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
A 93 and later YJ would have MPI instead of throttle body injection.

TBI is when the throttle body has 1 injector and feeds the cylinders just like a carburetor. Where as MPI has an injector for each cylinder.

In order to switch to MPI you would need a newer wiring harness to match, as well as the computer and all the sensors that it needs to run properly. O2, crank, ignition, water temp, and the like.

And going to an 06 MPI would be hard since an 06 is an OBD2 system, and 91-95 YJ's are OBD1. Don't know how hard it would be to get a computer to match with the newer system and still read the older sensors. Or if it is even possible.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I suggest u get money back and just go with Howell much easier and easy to install

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok...how about a 91 to 95 throttle body on the 2006 intake

·
Registered
442 Posts
A 93 and later YJ would have MPI instead of throttle body injection.
I didn't even think of that but now that has me to thinking, I've seen that swap did numerous times on the web. A lil searching and now Ive found some info. A 4.0 head with all the fuel injection parts is a fairly common swap.
4.0L Head Swap onto 4.2L block - TECH ARTICLE
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/4-2-to-4-0-head-swap-questions-245205.html

those are a couple links. just google 4.2 mpifi swap or 4.2 to 4,0 head swap. lots of info out there

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everyone keeps saying Howell. Ya. Uh no. $1300 is not doable for a FI setup. I've got a 2000 XJ MPI wiring. A 2006 intake with throttle body n all the stuff. I will figure out how to make ir work...without all the sensors that the 2006 needs. Just haven't figured it out yet

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Everyone keeps saying Howell. Ya. Uh no. $1300 is not doable for a FI setup. I've got a 2000 XJ MPI wiring. A 2006 intake with throttle body n all the stuff. I will figure out how to make ir work...without all the sensors that the 2006 needs. Just haven't figured it out yet

1300 wth. I paid 800

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
still a bunch of money i could puttoward something else at this point

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
0iii0forlife ya my bad i didnt realize the difference between MPI and TBI. yes it is a 2006 MPI TJ intake and throttle body. Im still learning all the correct terminology. this is my first jeep and was a worn out Carter on a very worn out 4.2.
now it is a 4.6 stroker, .030 over 4.0, small chamber non H.O. head, comp cams 448/260 lift and duration. right now ive got a clifford intake and weber 38DGES on it. I have a 2150 not rebuilt yet and the TBI setup. I may do the 2150 for now and eventually do the MPI setup later. Now if I have to go to an early YJ throttle body for the computer and sensors, that is fine. I dont know how much different a 2006 vs and early YJ throttle body is.
I dont understand the OBD1 and 2 thing....does that have to do with the guages and stuff??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts