Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Installed spacer On intake And When I Reinstalled Linkage Engine Revs To Full Throttle When started

·
Registered
202 Posts
Did you compromise the idle air control or forget to put a vacuum hose back on or forget a gasket? The engine is getting too much/unregulated air from somewhere.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
I Installed spacer On intake And When I Reinstalled Linkage Engine Revs To Full Throttle When started
First, such spacers can do wonders when placed under a carburetor or the previous type of throttle body that had a fuel injector in it... called TBI or throttle body injection. The fuel/air mixture passed through the spacer. Jeeps no longer use that type of throttle body.

On the TJ's style of throttle body, only air passes through it. Nothing but air, the fuel is injected well below it by the fuel injectors that inject the fuel directly into the combustion chambers. So with the type of throttle body the TJ uses, a spacer will do absolutely nothing. It will add zero power, it will do absolutely nothing. Well I can't say nothing, some cause a slight whistling noise.

Your high RPM issue is caused by a vacuum leak, likely from a leaky gasket between the new spacer and throttle body. I would buy a new throttle body gasket and reinstall the throttle body without the spacer. Be careful not to tighten the manifold bolts too tight, they only thread into aluminum which is easily stripped out. Send that spacer back for a refund, it won't do anything helpful for you. Really. :)

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
P.S. The throttle body's primary job is to regulate the amount of air that gets into the engine. The more air it lets in, the higher the engine RPMs. So if it is leaking air, the engine is getting unexpected air and excessively high RPMs are the result.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts