Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Knows a couple things...
49,968 Posts
So I installed a throttle body spacer on my 98 wrangler and now my engine wants to stall after applying the brakes...any tips guys?
A properly installed TB spacer would not cause that. And a vacuum leak where it bolts to the air intake manifold would cause higher rpms, not lower rpms. Check things like the throttle linkage, cruise control linkage if it has cruise control, to see if there's any mechanical interference going on.

Then you can go ahead and remove the spacer. Spacers do literally and absolutely nothing for the type of throttle body the TJ, JK, and JL has since there is no fuel passing through it. Only air passes through the TJ's TB. Spacers can and do help but only in 'wet' systems like a carburetor or the first generation of throttle bodies that had a fuel injector screwed into them. All your TB spacer did was make the air passage longer which does absolutely nothing for performance. Really. Despite all the hype and that it might have changed how the engine sounds.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,968 Posts
One of my suspicions would be the vacuum diaphragm on the brake system has a big leak, and the moment you step on the brake, it takes away your vacuum by letting a rush of atmospheric air in to the system.
That would raise the RPMS, not lower them.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,968 Posts
The intake manifold can't be bypassed by such a leak, such leaks would feed air directly into the intake manifold. It wouldn't at "first glance" raise the rpms, a major vacuum leak to atmospheric pressure would cause the rpms to go sky high.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts