Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading a bit lately and lookin around on ebay.. I see a few throttle body spacers that claim to increase MPG, Horsepower and Response.. granted.. it states only 2-4 MPG & 4-6 Horsepower.. Are these believeable numbers? Or are they just blowing smoke here?

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
yup look in this months JP they claim on a dyno they got 2 more HP out of a new intake(forget which aftermarhet one) so with the throttle body spacer it is probably about 2 mpg and 4HP would be my expectation ,
may even be on the low end
I think triple888 runs one, but can tremember exactly maybe he will chime in

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I run a helix power tower. I think the throttle might be a little more responsive, but that could just be me wanting it to feel that way. I've seen no gains with mpg. I also run the AirAid intake and a flowmaster exhaust.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
They're a complete waste of $$$. And the graphs in Jp Magazine's showed so much latitude for error it wasn't even funny, that 1hp they thought they got with the spacer couldn't accurately be determined due to the normal error rates and the eratic charting they did. It was all hype.

Spacers do wonders when underneath a carburetor or sometimes a TBI (throttle body injection) where there is an air-fuel mixture passing through the spacer. But the TJ's throttle body and any spacer present only has air passing through it, the fuel is injected well below directly into the combustion chamber.

Save your $$$. Have I tried a TB spacer? Yep, one of the fancy red anodized Helix spacers and it did nada. I couldn't tell any difference after I installed it and I could tell any difference after I removed it due to its whistling. It's sitting in my junkbox, I won't even take the effort to sell it since I wouldn't try to claim it does anything.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
I think triple888 runs one, but can tremember exactly maybe he will chime in
Nope no spacer here. :) I've got a custom intake and a bored throttle body on the intake side and that's all. I hear many people say they are good but just as many say its waste of $$$ i havent gotten one yet since it's not the first thing in my list so...

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I have the whole Airaid set up, TBS and Air intake and it increased HP and torque a little bit, which was perfect for when I went to larger tires. Was it worth the $250...not really.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts