Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will this be worth spending money on, I of-course have the straight six and put a K&N filer on (along with taking off the horn on the air-box)

·
Registered
280 Posts
some people say that they work, but others will say that they don't do any good what so ever and that is the truth, now if it was carb. engine then that would be a silightly different story...for me I haven't used one on my jeep, but on my 95 Tacoma it did nothing except waste $160

·
Registered
738 Posts
The thing is the intake system and exhaust system for the 4.0 is designed well for what it does. It takes in and expels more air than the engine needs and any after-market add-on's just do not add anything on this engine. Some will say they feel increases and get better mileage, etc. But at the end of the day the there has never been any hardcore proof any of this stuff works on the 4.0. All the test data out there is based on RPM's and or wide open throttle conditions that the 4.0 just does not see based on what type of vehicle it is.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
nope.. spend the money on something useful..

a few cases of beer.. or something for the jeep..

a hi-lift never killed anybody

·
Registered
560 Posts
UnlimitedLJ04 said:
Tell you what, add up how much the K&N and throttle body spacer costs, then send the money to me. At least I'll be able to put it to good use.
Haha hilarious^^^^

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
some people say that they work, but others will say that they don't do any good what so ever and that is the truth, now if it was carb. engine then that would be a silightly different story...for me I haven't used one on my jeep, but on my 95 Tacoma it did nothing except waste $160
x2, I put one on my 97 Tacoma, all it did was make it sound cool, and lighten my wallet.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,414 Posts
Spacers can do wonders when placed under carburetors or the old no-longer used TBI (throttle body injection) type of throttle body. Both of those pass an air-fuel mixture into the air intake manifold and a spacer can help. However, the Wrangler TJ uses a more modern multiport fuel injection system and only air passes through its throttle body. Installing a throttle body spacer under the type of throttle body used since 1991 does absolutely nothing. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
When I bought my 2003 TJ (4.0, auto trans) in 2005, it already had a K & N intake system from the previous owner. I installed a "Poweraid" throttle body spacer hoping for better mpg's etc but it didnt make enough difference to talk about. Maybe another brand would function better, i dont know. I'd say, spend the $ on something else.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,414 Posts
I installed a "Poweraid" throttle body spacer hoping for better mpg's etc but it didnt make enough difference to talk about.
In the case of '91 and newer Wrangler engines, it will make zero difference in anything except your bank account. :)

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
I put one on, no difference. The only thing I've done that I actually noticed a difference was putting on a high voltage coil and 8mm spark plug wires with good quality spark plugs. I had to switch back to my old coil for a few days after I had it on for a while and my jeep felt soo much slower.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
If they came with big STP decals for your doors you'd find they work lots better.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
"""""Rrich just showed his age lol.....NOS is the new STP """""

You mean Mike T bought out STP?

I knew he did good, but I didn't know he had that kind of success.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Mine came with the spacer. Looks cool, but if I get better gas mileage and performance from it, it must have been pretty bad before it was installed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts