Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever replace their throttle body with a larger one? I have a 4 cyl and wanted see if would enough difference to do it

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Haven't seen any article that gave me that much motivation to try. You could look at 4bannger.com and see what theyhave done. But I can't get registered to use the site. I suppose there is a site with some info.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Remember, what goes in, must come out, for peak efficiency. there comes a point where its too big and the 4 banger will not benefit.

Then, on top of that, to balance out what you are doing you should change the cam to take advantage of the increased air flow. Then your ECM may not be able to adjust enough so you may need to increase your injectors so you can continue with the correct air/fuel mixtures.

:)

non the less, good luck, a little bigger may actually be a benefit.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I've read that a stock 2.5l will benefit from a stock 4.0 60mm TB any bigger and you'll get off idle problems

I think its one of those "everything works together" deals though

As in bigger TB+Better intake+better exhaust+Stronger Ignition+Larger Cam=improved power

·
Registered
374 Posts
Defco1 I would also like to know the specifics on the larger throttle body.What years on the cherokee?Or maybee a link, from someone who has done this?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ya, I have the 4.0 Throttle body on my 2.5 YJ.

This is what happend:
I threw on a 4.0 TB and it would not fit because of a little tab that needs to be grinded down. I did that, got it to fit perfect, took if for a spin and noticed that I got a loss of power in the high RPMS.... and my idle was high. I was like what the F#$%....I could not figure out why....then...I pulled the intake completely off and drove around the block and its was night and day difference. My stock air filter was super clogged or just restricted which made the 4.0 TB need more air.You need a better air intake if you plan to go with the 4.0 tb. It was so much better I bought a Airaid CAI intake and with he 4.0 TB its so much better than stock. I do recommend this upgrade but you need an intake and a spacer should be good too. The throttle bodies gets hot as I know personally from taking it on and off 100 times. Oh, Not to mention the sound is soooooo much better.

I plan to do the electric fan upgrade and the explorer fuel injectors too. After that and an exhaust I could should be happy enough with street performance. My Jeep is set up for offroad 100% but now its so much better on the freeway. All I need.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thank You Im seriously interested.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've done this mod and it was really easy. I got mine off a 92 Cherokee and it was direct fit. The stock 2.5 TB is 60mm the 4.0 is 62mm just make sure to swap your AIC ( use the one from your 2.5 in the 4.0 ). Have a set of yellow top Ford injectors and an electric fan off a 92 Continental just waiting for a day off to install. Hopefully after all is said and done I'll feel a difference.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Forgot to ask, is there any reason this wouldn't work on my 1989 2.5L T.B.I. 5 speed and has a CCV system?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've done this mod and it was really easy. I got mine off a 92 Cherokee and it was direct fit. The stock 2.5 TB is 60mm the 4.0 is 62mm just make sure to swap your AIC ( use the one from your 2.5 in the 4.0 ). Have a set of yellow top Ford injectors and an electric fan off a 92 Continental just waiting for a day off to install. Hopefully after all is said and done I'll feel a difference.
please up date after you do the injectors and fan upgrade. I am currently looking to do this myself and I want to know how it turns out...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts