Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put this out here before, looking for wiring information that show how and why it has the lag in it............. UNDERSTOOD HAVING SOCCER MOMS AS DAILY DRIVERS NEED IT TO KEEP THEM SAFE!

I'VE EVEN READ ABOUT THIS SPRINTER FOR 300 UNDERSTAND, BUT STILL TRYING TO SEE THINGS ON PRINTS OR WIRING DIAGARMS THAT CAN EXPLAIN IT?! SO CAN FIGURE WAYS AROUND IT? WITHOUT SPEND 300!

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Computer controlled, tha'ts why it needs a tuner to change the program

·
Registered
297 Posts
+1

wiring diagrams will not help because it is the engine control software program not the wiring that determines the lag. Throttle by wire is easy to understand. There is a throttle position sensor on the pedal that tells the ECU (engine computer) how much throttle you are requesting. The computer then analyzes everything and if all the criteria are met for increased throttle, it sends a signal to a motor that opens the butterfly more on the throttle body. The "lag" is programmed into the computer. They design the lag not so much for safety but for the EPA and C.A.F.E......

The lag can be decreased by reprogramming the ECU which is what a tuner would do.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The restrictive intake on the JK also adds to the lag and responsiveness. Adding a more efficent system helps reduce the lag time.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Just bury the throttle every time and be done with it ...

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
It took me about 3 days driving my '12 to get used to the throttle lag. I only stalled it 2 or 3 times letting the clutch out too early. Now I don't even notice it.

Is this really a big deal for some people?

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
derf said:
It took me about 3 days driving my '12 to get used to the throttle lag. I only stalled it 2 or 3 times letting the clutch out too early. Now I don't even notice it.

Is this really a big deal for some people?
:whistling: read above.

I do agree taking about the later models but the early 07 maybe 08 it was terrible.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
:whistling: read above.

I do agree taking about the later models but the early 07 maybe 08 it was terrible.
Yeah, I never drove the 07/08 models. It must be a lot worse if people are having trouble getting used to it.

·
MARGARET, 10-14-51\6-1-12
10,296 Posts

Adjusting Throttle response:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not start the engine).
2. Wait for all of the dash lights that normally come on at start up to go out.
3. Depress the gas pedal to the floor and back one time***
4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.

***the throttle response is adjusted based on how quickly or slowly you send the gas pedal to the floor and back... the quicker you floor it and let go, the faster the throttle response will be.

Also note that this is NOT a permanent adjustment, the ECM will continue to learn and adjust to your driving habit's. If you drive it like you stole it, it will last a while, if you hit 30 mins of traffic it will probably be back to normal in a day or two.

·
Registered
297 Posts
This procedure calibrates the throttle position sensor. It may or may not help with the lag depending on if the TPS was mis-calibrated or not. I don't know enough about the JK ECM to know if it "learns" your habits. I do know that I "learned" its habits and it doesn't bother me anymore ;)

Adjusting Throttle response:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not start the engine).
2. Wait for all of the dash lights that normally come on at start up to go out.
3. Depress the gas pedal to the floor and back one time***
4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.

***the throttle response is adjusted based on how quickly or slowly you send the gas pedal to the floor and back... the quicker you floor it and let go, the faster the throttle response will be.

Also note that this is NOT a permanent adjustment, the ECM will continue to learn and adjust to your driving habit's. If you drive it like you stole it, it will last a while, if you hit 30 mins of traffic it will probably be back to normal in a day or two.

·
Registered
694 Posts
It is a computer generated lag,and has NOTHING to do with the intake.:rolleyes:

I said the intake contributes to the lag, and that it does. I didn't say that's all it was. People who get a less restrictive intake notice a improvement in throttle response. Do your homework.:nonono:

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I said the intake contributes to the lag, and that it does. I didn't say that's all it was. People who get a less restrictive intake notice a improvement in throttle response. Do your homework.:nonono:
People have a tendency to notice what they want to notice, especially when they spent money trying to get it. What they get with an intake is more noise. The added noise combined with a desire to feel an improvement plays tricks on their minds. Do you honestly think replacing an intake that flows enough air to make 300 hp with one that can flow enough air to make 350 hp is going to make any difference at a point where the engine is making 50 hp? That doesn't make any sense at all. An air intake can't force the engine to use more air than it needs. If the air intake was restrictive enough to change the throttle response it would suck 50 hp out of the top end.

·
Registered
694 Posts
People have a tendency to notice what they want to notice, especially when they spent money trying to get it. What they get with an intake is more noise. The added noise combined with a desire to feel an improvement plays tricks on their minds. Do you honestly think replacing an intake that flows enough air to make 300 hp with one that can flow enough air to make 350 hp is going to make any difference at a point where the engine is making 50 hp? That doesn't make any sense at all. An air intake can't force the engine to use more air than it needs. If the air intake was restrictive enough to change the throttle response it would suck 50 hp out of the top end.
I have two 2012 JK's, one with a intake the other without. Yes the intake makes a differance, no matter what you don't believe.
You exaggerations are a chuckle though.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I have two 2012 JK's, one with a intake the other without. Yes the intake makes a differance, no matter what you don't believe.
You exaggerations are a chuckle though.
You are feeling what you want to feel. Put it on a dyno to prove it and you'll find out exactly what the others that have done so have found. It does basically nothing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts