Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so, 14 JKUS with 83K on it, and I thought I've skipped or missed the TOB issue so far - but, I'm not sure...

So - this morning, I was taking my daughter to camp drop off, and while waiting in line, I hear the marble sound or was sounds like a rattle coming from underneath the Jeep. Press the clutch pedal, and it goes away (is it the input shaft bearing??). I immediately know what this noise means - but here's where it gets tricky. The AC was on and compressor was cycling as normal, but, if I turned the AC off, the rattle in the transmission went away.

I'm at a loss here - I tried to duplicate it when in the garage and couldn't (of course) - so, is it possible that it was not the TOB/Input Shaft bearing?

Another thing I've noticed - when the AC is on, my Jeep does not drip water underneath. I noticed the condensation drips on the exhaust right below, and evaporates - and only when it cools off will there be a tiny puddle left. Thoughts on that, too?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have this issue too. Sitting in a parking lot or at a red light without the clutch depressed, it sounds like marbles in the tranny when the compressor is running. With the AC off, or when the compressor isn't running, it goes away. Push in the clutch, and it goes away too. '16 JKUR with 29K and the noise has been there since at least 10K - It may have always been there I was traveling a lot for work for the first 10-15K so lots of highway miles.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have this issue too. Sitting in a parking lot or at a red light without the clutch depressed, it sounds like marbles in the tranny when the compressor is running. With the AC off, or when the compressor isn't running, it goes away. Push in the clutch, and it goes away too. '16 JKUR with 29K and the noise has been there since at least 10K - It may have always been there I was traveling a lot for work for the first 10-15K so lots of highway miles.
Interesting - but, glad I'm not the only one. Not sure if I want to take it in or just live with it for now. It's not causing any performance issues, that I can tell, but, yeah. Hard part for me is that if I do take it in, I will be without transportation - and it's not like pulling a tranny is a simple, quick job.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
at 83k, I would just replace the clutch and TO bearing all at once. The TO bearings are junk. Doing a clutch and all the other bits is not too bad. You can do it in your driveway with regular tools. I have a clutch/Flywheel etc in the box for my full size dodge diesel at home. I am trying to build up the confidence to pull that sucker. With The transfer case still attached it weighs about 400 pounds. By the little jeep NSG is easily a one person weekend job.

·
Registered
64 Posts
FWIW, I have the same issue as well. It's annoying....

Interesting - but, glad I'm not the only one. Not sure if I want to take it in or just live with it for now. It's not causing any performance issues, that I can tell, but, yeah. Hard part for me is that if I do take it in, I will be without transportation - and it's not like pulling a tranny is a simple, quick job.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Did you got this fixed? how much it cost? so its not the input shaft bearing then?
I think it is really just poor TO bearings. It has not made the noise after replacing the last TO bearing (two since I posted this). This was all covered under warranty for me. I believe it was 4 TO bearing in total before the noise went away and has not come back. Noise would come back once Jeep would warm up after driving around 10-15 miles. I hope this is now resolved for a long time. :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Is this covered under the bumper to bumper or powertrain warranty? Mine makes some noise and need to figure out how important it is to get it to the dealer ASAP. I will have more time around the holidays but will be over my bumper to bumper by then.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My understanding is that any "clutch related parts" of the transmission are NOT covered under the powertrain warranty. You may have luck under the bumper to bumper, but if you're close, you might run in to issues.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Is this covered under the bumper to bumper or powertrain warranty? Mine makes some noise and need to figure out how important it is to get it to the dealer ASAP. I will have more time around the holidays but will be over my bumper to bumper by then.
I believe from what I have read it depends on your dealer. In my case my B2B is expired but all of the TO bearings were covered under warranty. I did also replace my clutch during my first TO bearing replacement and I was charge for .5 hrs labor and for the clutch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts