Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I purchased a Throwback in January. Here's my ~3 month review:

Good:

- It's a lot of fun. If I'm in the jeep and not on the freeway, the top is open. If it's a little too sunny, pulling it closed at a stop sign or red light is easy.

- I don't feel as vulnerable with it as expected. I park in an area with a lot of car break ins, and most jeeps in the neighborhood either have hardtops or park with unzipped softtops. My black Throwback on black jeep doesn't really stand out, and I expect if a break in does happen it would go through a broken window rather than cutting the top.

Bad:

- Moderate or even light-but-sustained rain leaks over the passenger side. Haven't tried it in snow. I discovered the leak the morning after a big storm when I found a flooded foot well and soaked carpet. Pulled the plugs and dried the carpet, but it's a frustrating PIA and embarrassing to drive people around with water running down the inside of the window. The Throwback's foam seal looked out of place and damaged - I must not have inspected it close enough when installing, I doubt the damage came during/after install.

Okay:

- After contacting Webasto support, they promptly shipped a waterproofing kit via UPS ground. Prompt support is a good thing! There's a lot more foam in this kit than comes standard with the top in addition to a rubber seal that runs the rear perimeter of the top. I wish they had been installed from factory.

- The week I spent waiting for the foam to ship while it continued to rain was not fun. Some of my attempted quick fixes just diverted water behind the plastic panels, causing it to run down the A-Pillar and pour out from under the glove box. I should have switched back to the freedom top immediately, very glad I just run a simple Sport without a lot of electronics. Would have been much more upset if I had A-Pillar switches installed.

- Still waiting on another storm to see how effective the kit is. The more I look at it, the more I think the leak comes from a nearby but different part of the top where the factory foam lacks full coverage, and unfortunately the shipped kit doesn't have anything for that spot. I'm hopeful but not optimistic the leaks are fixed.

- On a less severe but more of an every day thing, it's quite noisy at highway speeds even when closed. Pretty exhausting for conversation on long trips.

Overall, I still love the damn thing when driving local streets and rough roads so I've resigned myself to dealing with it.

·
Registered
305 Posts

Good:

- It's a lot of fun. If I'm in the jeep and not on the freeway, the top is open. If it's a little too sunny, pulling it closed at a stop sign or red light is easy.

- I don't feel as vulnerable with it as expected. I park in an area with a lot of car break ins, and most jeeps in the neighborhood either have hardtops or park with unzipped softtops. My black Throwback on black jeep doesn't really stand out, and I expect if a break in does happen it would go through a broken window rather than cutting the top.

Bad:

- Moderate or even light-but-sustained rain leaks over the passenger side. Haven't tried it in snow. I discovered the leak the morning after a big storm when I found a flooded foot well and soaked carpet. Pulled the plugs and dried the carpet, but it's a frustrating PIA and embarrassing to drive people around with water running down the inside of the window. The Throwback's foam seal looked out of place and damaged - I must not have inspected it close enough when installing, I doubt the damage came during/after install.

Okay:

- After contacting Webasto support, they promptly shipped a waterproofing kit via UPS ground. Prompt support is a good thing! There's a lot more foam in this kit than comes standard with the top in addition to a rubber seal that runs the rear perimeter of the top. I wish they had been installed from factory.

- The week I spent waiting for the foam to ship while it continued to rain was not fun. Some of my attempted quick fixes just diverted water behind the plastic panels, causing it to run down the A-Pillar and pour out from under the glove box. I should have switched back to the freedom top immediately, very glad I just run a simple Sport without a lot of electronics. Would have been much more upset if I had A-Pillar switches installed.

- Still waiting on another storm to see how effective the kit is. The more I look at it, the more I think the leak comes from a nearby but different part of the top where the factory foam lacks full coverage, and unfortunately the shipped kit doesn't have anything for that spot. I'm hopeful but not optimistic the leaks are fixed.

- On a less severe but more of an every day thing, it's quite noisy at highway speeds even when closed. Pretty exhausting for conversation on long trips.

Overall, I still love the damn thing when driving local streets and rough roads so I've resigned myself to dealing with it.
Thank for the review. It is disappointing to hear of your leakage issues, this is what made me decide not to go with the other brand that had a significant amount of folks complaining about water leaks. Apparently a certain amount of water leakage is to be expected from these types of tops. For what they cost one would expect to not have to deal with leakage. Hopefully a fix is in place now for your issues.

·
Registered
305 Posts

Good:

Bad:

Okay:

Any updates on the repair solution?

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Is the throwback the same as the sunrider?
Same concept. not same product. For example Throwback is 1pc design.. the sunrider has sections to assemble.

To date Throwback is still one of my favorite things on the Jeep.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Same concept. not same product. For example Throwback is 1pc design.. the sunrider has sections to assemble.

To date Throwback is still one of my favorite things on the Jeep.
Good to know you like them, it just is proving very difficult to purchase. It makes one wonder what the delay is when they are one of the largest convertible top makers in the US.
Redesign? Outsourcing or supplier issues?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good to know you like them, it just is proving very difficult to purchase. It makes one wonder what the delay is when they are one of the largest convertible top makers in the US.
Redesign? Outsourcing or supplier issues?
No, No and yes. Just waiting on some logistics. We had quite a run on them in Q4-2017 and Q1 this year. So we are just button up a few things making sure everything is solid.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I don't live far from Webasto is it possible that I can buy it locally and have them install it as well. that will save me the trouble of ordering it and finding someone to install it.
It is super simple to install, you can do it at home.

·
Premium Member
2017 JKUR
1,163 Posts
Has anyone bought the cooler from Black Forest ?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts