Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks all! I have a 1991 YJ 2.5/AX5. I'm getting ready to do the internal to external slave swap and have the first of a bunch of questions (more as I progress) I'm sure. I got donor parts from a 95 YJ (bellhousing, fork, retainer shaft, etc.) I cleaned up the bearing retainer as it had the donor throwout bearing on it. Everything was a little crusty so I degreased everything and used a gray scotchbrite pad on the shaft and then followed with oiled 2000 grit paper to clean the shaft up. Now, when I fit the old throwout bearing back over the shaft, there's a tiny, tiny bit of play between the bering bore and the shaft. Is there a spec on acceptable play between the two? I'm thinking there should be a little to accommodate grease? Second question: I'm going to replace the U joints in my driveshafts and am looking at the Dana/Spicer 51310X. They're the non greaseable/heavy duty units. Does anyone have any input on these particular units?

·
Super Moderator
11,119 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the play between the throwout bearing and the bearing retainer shaft. I can't imagine that you can remove enough material with a grey Scotchbrite pad and 2000# sandpaper to make any difference.

As far as the U-joints, is the question about greasable vs non-greasable or Dana/Spicer U-joints vs another brand?
Other posters can tell you what number U-joint will actually fit your 1991 driveshaft and yokes. I don't remember the number for certain.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Good to hear that a tiny bit of play should be expected. I ended up going with the dana/spicer non-greasable. I've had good luck with them in the past.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts