Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys what's up? Recently I posted a thread about a noise I kept hearing as I applied the clutch pedal. It was a slight squeaking sound. The majority of members on here agreed it could possibly be a worn out throwout bearing....well, today the noise got ridiculously louder. I recorded it.....hopefully you all can help me confirm that it is indeed the throwout bearing....listen below and thanks in advance!

VID00001-20101221-1316.mp4 video by chavser - Photobucket

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd say throwout. Haven't had mine go bad yet, in my Jeep, but my old '72 Firebird sounded something like that and there was a grinding vibration when I depressed the clutch.

Merry Christmas... RT

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What confuses me is that 9 out of 10 will say the particular sound in question should be heard when foot is OFF the clutch pedal. In this case, it's only heard when my foot is pressing the clutch pedal in. NOTE: When I speak of clutch I'm only referring to actual clutch pedal. NOT actual clutch or anything of that sort. I haven't gone in to check anything yet....

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
When your foot is off the pedal the bearing is not touching anything, not spinning, it cannot make noise if it's not doing anything.
When you put pressure on the pedal the TO touches the spinning fingers on the clutch and begins to spin.
If the bearing is bad it will squeak, crunch, grind, etc then.

When it's not spinning it cannot make any more noise than if it was sitting all by itself on your bed in the house.

Remember, the internet does not reject ink. Call a trans shop and ask them if you don't believe it!

Your tape - that's the typical classic sound of a TO bearing dying.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When your foot is off the pedal the bearing is not touching anything, not spinning, it cannot make noise if it's not doing anything.
When you put pressure on the pedal the TO touches the spinning fingers on the clutch and begins to spin.
If the bearing is bad it will squeak, crunch, grind, etc then.

When it's not spinning it cannot make any more noise than if it was sitting all by itself on your bed in the house.

Remember, the internet does not reject ink. Call a trans shop and ask them if you don't believe it!

Your tape - that's the typical classic sound of a TO bearing dying.
Gotcha! I'm just gonna replace entire clutch kit. Man I swear, people have been telling me that sound should occur when foot is off clutch pedal. What you're saying makes sense. Thanks a bunch for the replies!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Rrich is right!! I've replaced alot of clutch assembly's in my race truck back in the day including TO bearings, the sound will happen when you press your clutch pedal in. When it's just sitting there at idle it's not doing anything, it does it's job when you press down on the pedal which if it's bad or starting to go bad you will hear noises! I like how he referred it to sitting on your bed by it's self!! Lmao that was funny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts