Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with this system? Are the rain gutters REALLY up to the task? We are looking at this mostly for kayaks, as well as the lower profile makes getting the garage easier Thanks Copy and pasted this reply on my iPad

·
Registered
398 Posts
I put the Yakima track rack on my jeep about 2 years ago. Just ordered the track with the hardware, found the bars and landing pads else where for cheaper on the Internet and local.

Put a 74 pound canoe strapped down pretty tight, and other occasions had bikes on it. Works for me.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I also have the Yakima rail systems on both the '99 Sport and the '06 LJ.

On separate occasions, I can carry (2) SUPs or (2) kayaks, together. My combined weight is about 60lbs and 70lbs, respectively. The weight of the kayaks puts it just below the max for the system of about 75lbs, as I recall, and I've yet to have an issue. It works great for what I use it for.

Also, if you have a garage height issue, as I do, the landing pads are extremely easy to detach(no tools) and locks are available upgrades for security.

The standard kit, with landing pads and cross bars, comes with 54" runners. Perfect for the Sport. I upgraded the kit for the LJ to 60" runners. I wanted to go 66", but for some reason Yakima would not oblige(or so said a handful of distributors). The 60" actually worked out fine, but just wanted to get the maximum distance between crossbars. Both SUPs and one of the kayaks are 12'6" long.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, after 5 years in the hot, dry desert climate, the soft top is pretty shot. I need to do some work on the hardtop so it would be a good time to install the Yakima rails.
Also, is it noisy at all?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks for the info, after 5 years in the hot, dry desert climate, the soft top is pretty shot. I need to do some work on the hardtop so it would be a good time to install the Yakima rails.
Also, is it noisy at all?
Regarding noise, I have the basic round tube crossbars and added a material covered cylindrical foam that covers the cross bars in between the landing pads.
It makes just a little wind noise, but pretty insignificant.
Easy listening volume on the radio would easily drown it out.

Also, Yakima has other aerodynamic shaped crossbars, but I have no feedback for you on those, regarding noise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts