Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a hitch mount bike rack for my JKU. I'm interested in the Thule Apex Swing 4 Bike Rack. Does anyone know if I would need to purchase a hitch extension? I have a 295/65/18 mounted as my spare.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I actually went to look at these this morning. I am running 315/70/17 tires on a smittybilt xrc tire carrier. He tried it out on the jeep but I was about 4 inches short. I imagine based on that you would be a little short as well.

I have been looking for hitch extensions all day. The shortest one I can find is 7 inches though.

This is the one I just went with. Hope that helps

CURT Receiver Extender #45791 - Canadian Hitches

·
Registered
179 Posts
Raxster Racks has a version that does not need a hitch extension. You can also add a 2 bike extension so it can carry 4 bikes.

Raxter Tarsus EL Hitch Mount Car Bike Rack

It also has what Raxster calls a 'auto-nesting' feature. Which just means it is very easy to load bikes without them interfering with each other (e.g. not lower seats, etc. which you sometimes need to do on other hitch platform racks).

I just got this and it works well. I had a different brand and got tired of dealing with the hitch extender. Plus less sway. The auto nesting feature also means the rack is more compact and doesn't stick out as far from the back of the Jeep.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts