Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope someone can get me some advice. I have a 05 Rubicon w/ 4in lift kit and T drop.
There is a thumping noise when accelerating on 1st gear coming from underneath that goes away right away. However if I engaged 4wd there is no noise at all. My local mechanic found nothing wrong. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
does it only do it when its cold? mine does this every morning but as soon as i get 3-4 blocks from home i dont hear it for the rest of the day. i've just chalked it up as another one of those "jeep things"

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cory05tj said:
does it only do it when its cold? mine does this every morning but as soon as i get 3-4 blocks from home i dont hear it for the rest of the day. i've just chalked it up as another one of those "jeep things"
Actually the noise happens once it gets hot. It doesn't happen when it's cold.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Have you checked the transmission mount?
+1
I had a Cherokee that did this. I soon found out it was in fact the transmission mount. ( Loose nuts)
Put you jeep in park and crawl underneath. Now get your buddy to rock the truck forward and back and listen for the clunk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep, support your transmission and drop the Skid Plate to check the transmission mount. Most likely no longer in one piece or cracked and falling apart. They are cheap and super easy to replace if thats your problem. Let us know :wavey:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts