Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 wrangler 4.0 with 140,000 miles on the body and recently had a used motor installed with 80,000 miles on it. While the shop had it apart i had them install a new clutch while it was all open. Recently i hear a tick when i am accelerating and it seems to be louder going up a hill. The tick is only noticeable when i raise the RPM's even when i am parked. Now the 2000 and up have the two piece exhaust manifold's and i am wondering if i have a crack and it is expanding while under a load so it is louder?I'm sure this would be alot easier to understand with a video.

Someone told me it could be the flex plate when they installed the the clutch?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hard to tell from the video but if I were a betting man I would say low end bearing. What kind of oil and viscosity are you running? Doesn't sound like an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm curious about this too. Mine kind of ticks when I go from a stop to first gear and a little in second then after that it goes away. Only happens in first and second gear

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wouldn't be a flex plate since you said a clutch replacement was done during the engine swap.... ( flex plate automatic, fly wheel manual)my guess is cracked manifold or other exhaust leak

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Today the noise got a lot louder to the point it sounded like something was going to come flying apart, i called up the shop and told them this is what i am hearing and it needs to be looked at immediately. I have a feeling if its a part of the clutch and its under warranty they will find some way to make me pay in the end. If its in the engine then i still have a warranty until October on it. In that case and its a broken piston skirt like krisbman mentioned will they be willing to just pay the labor for the repair or want to swap out engines. Any ideas?

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
Today the noise got a lot louder to the point it sounded like something was going to come flying apart, i called up the shop and told them this is what i am hearing and it needs to be looked at immediately. I have a feeling if its a part of the clutch and its under warranty they will find some way to make me pay in the end. If its in the engine then i still have a warranty until October on it. In that case and its a broken piston skirt like krisbman mentioned will they be willing to just pay the labor for the repair or want to swap out engines. Any ideas?
I dont see how anyone can warranty a used motor with 80k on it. Its like buying a used condom

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no, where is got the motor from has a warranty on the motor they pressure checked and delivered to my mechanic. I no i don't have a warranty on the install besides the clutch the shop bought and installed. sorry if this seems confusing

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Figured I would give a update...Wednesday I dropped off my jeep to the shop that installed the motor and the new clutch. This morning i went and stopped by the shop to see what they came up with and said it was in the motor and not the clutch... I drove it down to DeerFoot salvage yard where I bought the motor and they came out and listened to it. They offered to take my jeep and pull out the motor and swap it out with a different one since the motor was covered under warranty still. They said it should be ready in a week to pick up...Guess it's a step in the right direction, wish me luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts