Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all -

I've got ticking in my engine - how happy am I?

It is much more noticeable when the Jeep gets to normal operating temp. And it presents itself when the engine has very little load on it, right around 2000 RPM. If I lay on the gas at that point, the ticking goes away instantly.

The timing chain and sprockets are BRAND NEW, so is the fuel pump. I've got my oil topped off. My oil pressure runs at about 25 at 1800 RPM. It goes up and down, depending on my RPMs, it does not stay constant.

If I get down under the engine, the ticking is louder (having someone rev it up to 1700 RPM stationary).

Any thoughts? I need help to diagnose this thing.

Thanks -

·
Registered
390 Posts
I had the same issue, it was because my exhaust manifold was loose... so my advice check the manifold for cracks, and make sure its tight, hope that helps.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Take a long screw driver and apply the tip on your valve cover with the other end on your ear and see if its a lifter. If the noise gets louder that is most likley the cause. You can pull the valve cover and see if things look wore out or out of place. And u can also do the screw driver trick to the oil pan and see if the noise is on the bottom end. Like a main bearing or rod knock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts