Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed last Friday a loud ticking coming from the driver side head and into the wheel well. Should I be concerned? Sounds like loud injector. Neighbor said the 3.6 is notorious for bearing in the rocker going bad.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Can you record it?
My 18 (1st gen pentastar) is clicking also but is not loud enough to be distinctive on video.
IMO bearing will need some mileage to go bad unless its starving oil badly.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Under warranty right? Take it back to the dealer if you have a decent one and are concerned that much. I’d suck as much out of FCA dealers and mechanics as I can until the warranty expires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it’s only got 8,500 miles on it so I’m taking it in tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you record it?
My 18 (1st gen pentastar) is clicking also but is not loud enough to be distinctive on video.
IMO bearing will need some mileage to go bad unless its starving oil badly.
Can’t figure out how to upload my video from my iPhone so you can hear it. 😞

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep it’s gotten better so until it throws a code I’m just gonna enjoy it and ride the piss out of it. Life’s too short to worry about this kind of stuff. Lol! Keep me posted if things change with yours.

·
Super Moderator
7,698 Posts
I was shocked at how loud a 2019 JLU was ticking at a local gas station while the owner had it running while filling the tires with air. It was loud, not normal. I'm positive it wasn't the injectors ticking. I'd be running a 30 grade oil in the PUG upgrade, in-spite of the writing on the oil fill cap.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep I switched to amsoil 0w-20. Still ticked.

·
Super Moderator
7,698 Posts
Shouldn't tick at all. Needs to be looked at.
Bingo. Ticking for a second or two when first fired up after sitting for a long period of time is considered normal. Ticking after the engine is running and warmed up should be checked out. Having said that be prepared for a run around if you have ticking and no CEL. Some dealers can be real difficult and blow you off w/o a CEL.

It is also beneficial to know the difference between injector tick and a tick coming from the valve train.

·
Super Moderator
7,698 Posts
My new JL's engine is loud as ****. It sounds like a diesel.
Now I heard a few more idle and you're right they were loud. One sounded like an old sewing machine. What I do recall is some were a lot louder than others.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes don't wait. It is covered under warranty. My 2017 Recon started to tick after just 400 miles. It was fixed is less than 3 hours at the dealer.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Had a 12 V6 that had to have the drivers side head replaced. Factory warranty was extended for that part to one hundred thousand miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Me too! 42,000 miles and the ticking has been a while. It is mostly when the engine is under 120 degrees. I am hoping it is okay because i am out of warranty.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts