Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I just got my first 1993 jeep wrangler, its a 2.5 4 cyl.
its in overall good condition, but im hearing a ticking noise coming from the engine bay.
Do any of you have any idea what that might be?
I was told to use a stethescope ( sp? ) to pinpoint the location of the noise. I put the stethescope on the valve cover, and i heard alot of noises. Im not too sure if it is the exact noise, because the valvetrain has alot of parts moving around.

Thank you in advance.

David

·
Registered
327 Posts
lifters maybe??
sometimes happens when the oil is getting thin..
maybe give it an oil change and see if that helps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
X3 on the lifters, how many miles does the rig have?

·
Registered
105 Posts
x4 on the lifters. When i first got my 89 yj it had some ticking noise. We messed around with it for a while and finally found out it was the lifters. They dont cost all that much but its alot of work for those little things.

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
Darn straight it can. A Jeep with a 4 banger is a capable 4 wheel vehicle. If you are going to be hardcore, you will need some mods.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
You may also want to take a look at your exhaust manifold. A leak where the manifold meets the head will also make a ticking sound.

·
Registered
90 Posts
hey man i have a 94 wrangler. and on mine i had a horrible ticking sound and i found out that is was coming from two places the donut and at the manifold where it meets the head. from what i have been told is that the very last manifold bolt is very weak. and alot of them will break off. i have ordered a new header and cat back exhuast kit.and i am getting the bolt tapped out. i don't know if that helps but that is what it was on mine.

·
Registered
189 Posts
daddyjeep said:
You may also want to take a look at your exhaust manifold. A leak where the manifold meets the head will also make a ticking sound.

BUMP!! the exaust manifolds are famous for cracking, the only thing good about yours is if its a new head the nuts wont be rusted on the studs so it will be an easy swap to put in a header!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i think it does actually go away slightly when the engine warms up.
it takes a while to go away, but i think it does. And, if it doesnt go away, its very..very very slight.
how do i check to see if it coming from the manifold?
and would putting headers on this car do anything? i have a 79 trans am as my fast muscle car, i do not need this jeep to be fast by any means haha, but any nice jump in power is appreciated.

Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
AND, sorry i forgot to post this, but. 94redwrangler. What do you mean, donut. you said two places you had the tick. donut and manifold. do you mean the donut tire?

David

·
Registered
189 Posts
by putting a header on your jeep it will allow it to move exaust gasses out of the cylinder head faster which will result in more horsepower, and tourqe the 4 banger needs all it can can get expecially when running larger tires.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if it is an exhaust leak. Should it go away really fast when it warms up, or will it just quiet.
When i first start it, its pretty loud, you can tell its there. But after a while, its like reallllly quiet. And im not sure, but i think its gone. But, it still might be there.

David

·
Registered
90 Posts
the donut is where the head pipe connects to the rest of the exhaust. or thats what i have always called it. it is a flat piece of metal with three nuts and bolts holding the two pieces together. sometimes they will rust and break or there might be a crack there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well guys.
The noise doesnt go away. at all.
Not even to the slightest imagination.
I started the jeep up, it was there, and fairly loud.
Then, i drove it around, got her nice and hot. And the noise got a little quieter, but was still there never the less.

So, you guys think its the lifters?

David

1 - 20 of 35 Posts