Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there are heads about this somewhere but I've been searching and didn't see anything. It's a simple question - our 94 YJ seems to be developing a progressively louder ticking/tapping sound when it's cold. It disappears within a minute or two and it gone when the engine is warm.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Cold oil takes longer to reach the top end of the motor.
What weight oil are you running?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, okay, that makes sense. Probably exacerbated by the colder weather too? I didn't do the last oil change so I can't say for sure. What do you recommend? I'm in the Atlanta, GA area.

·
Registered
934 Posts
10w-30 is what is recommended by Chrysler and that's what I run in all my Jeep motors.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Copy that, thanks 12b!! Again!!

Reactions: 12b

·
Super Moderator
12,661 Posts
I don't have a lot of confidence in "Cure in a Can" additives that we see on the shelf of auto supply stores. Radiator stop leak causes more problems than it cures. Automatic transmission stop leak swells the seals and can stop a leak, but the seals soon become brittle and leak even more. Same thing with power steering stop leak. With another product, I don't see how any additive can restore compression.

As far as other "Cure in a Can" additives, Seafoam is a crankcase and fuel additive that seems to be the exception. As a crankcase additive, what it does is actually cut the built up crud and carries it suspended in the oil. It's important to drive the vehicle gently after adding Seafoam and change the oil & filter promptly after a couple start-run-cool cycles.
You may have a sticky lifter or crud built up in the oil galleries that's preventing the cold (and thicker) oil from properly circulating.

There are other products that do the same thing (Marvel Mystery Oil or other engine flush products) but the Seafoam is what worked for me.

As 12b suggests, I'd use 10W-30. Once your new oil starts to darken, I'd do a second Seafoam treatment and change the oil and filter again within a hundred or so miles.
What you'll probably see is the slightly darker oil will turn black soon after adding the Seafoam. That's the crud & crap being cleaned from the inside of your engine. Be sure to drive the Jeep gently and change the oil & filter soon thereafter.

Let us know how it goes for you and if flushing the engine helps the ticking sound.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: agalloch07

·
Registered
532 Posts
10w-30 is what is recommended by Chrysler and that's what I run in all my Jeep motors.
Interesting factoid here. Many years ago in my Cherokee days a guy in south america posted up an oil wt question. He just bought a mid 90ies Cherokee with the 4.0 and posted a pic of his newly acquired Cherokee's engine. There was the nice shiny engine and the factory oil cap reading 15/40 was the recommended flavor.
Personally I now run 5/30 in everything in winter. Makes a huge diff in my old pathfinder on startups that are notorious for bled down lifters from just sitting overnight.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Straight from the FSM for 4.0 and 2.5 engines including Cherokee and Wrangler.

Could be that oil cap that 8thtimer refers to is from a totally different engine.

SAE.JPG

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts
10W30 is fine 5W30 would be OK too, [that's what I would use] especially if temps drop toward 0-F or below. Your lifters could be sticking. Next time you change the oil add a bottle of Rislone High Mileage Engine Treatment, and run it for the entire interval. You could also try a pint of Marvel Oil, used the same way, and then about 100-200 miles before you plan on changing your oil add another pint of Marvel Oil. I've had great results with Marvel Oil freeing up lifters, and a good friend of mine [an A-tech mechanic] swears by the Risolne product.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LuckyMac - I use seafoam in the gas tank pretty regularly but by ‘treatment’ you mean actually spraying into the throttle housing, etc. right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,661 Posts
LuckyMac - I use seafoam in the gas tank pretty regularly but by ‘treatment’ you mean actually spraying into the throttle housing, etc. right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I mean adding the Seafoam to the crankcase and running the Jeep gently for a hundred miles or so. Then change the oil and filter.
I have a tendency to overdo things so I might use more than the instructions say to, but the recommended dose is one oz. per quart of oil. It's better to follow the instructions and be safe than follow my example and be sorry if something goes wrong.

Once you've changed your oil & filter, check your oil regularly. As soon as the oil begins to turn slightly dark, do another Seafoam treatment and change the oil and filter after gently driving the Jeep for a hundred miles or so.
I expect the oil that you dump will be black, rather than slightly dark. The blackness is the crud that the Seafoam has cleaned out from the inside of your engine.

I'm retired and don't drive the Jeep enough to hit 5000 miles in half a year, so I change my oil in the spring and in the fall. When I do my oil changes I do a complete vehicle service.
I've been laid up this summer with back surgery, but the doc just gave me clearance to do more bending and lifting, so I've got the Jeep on my schedule for it's oil & filter, a complete tune up and a Seafoam treatment.
I use regular dino oil rather than synthetic. For the upcoming oil change I'll probably use 10W-30 because my Jeep lives in an unheated attached garage, out of the extreme cold. If it lived outside, I'd probably use 5W-30. Use a quality oil filter like a Wix or NAPA gold.

I have a carb, so I haven't tried the Seafoam through the intake. I doubt that it would hurt the Jeep at all. The smoke might upset your neighbors though.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: jhendry

·
Los Angeles
1,721 Posts
A tick when cold can indicate an exhaust leak. Take a look at your gaskets.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
I agree with Luckymac it's probbaly lifter tick and the only way to fix it is to flush the engine with Seafoam to clean the gunk out of the lifters. Lifters get plugged up with gunk and the oil pressure inside them bleeds off and it takes a while for the oil to build back up and causes lifter tick. My 4.0 started getting really bad lifter knock in the early 2000's and i changed my oil all the time. Then i read about 4.0 lifter tick and flushing it with seafoam would cure it so i tried it and it dont tick anymore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts