Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Jeep JKU 3.8L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone!! I recently bought a 2010 Jeep JKU. It was one owner with the 3.8L, 110k miles on it supreme condition. The previous owner took is religiously to their local Jeep to get it serviced. I did notice a little sound in the engine when we purchased it and thought it was normal. Unfortunately that sound has strengthened and now I’m starting to get paranoid. It’s a ticking sound coming from the engine bay. It’s definitely a lot more noticeable on the passenger side. Can’t hear it to much from the drivers seat. The sound does pick up speed with acceleration. I did change the oil last night and added an additive to see if I can quiet the sound some so I could thinking it could help me pin point the issue but nahhhhh.

I enjoy fixing things on my own but can’t if I don’t know what it is. Lol.
Just really want to get it taken care of. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2010 Jeep JKU 3.8L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also the noise isn’t like wham bam ca bam super loud. It’s just loud enough to be able to hear it.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
You could have a cracked exhaust manifold. Very common on the 3.8. If you take the heat shield off the exhaust manifold you will be able to see if there are black carbon lines where it’s cracked. The manifold crack sounds like a tick and usually gets a bit quieter as the engine gets hot.
The fuel injectors can also make a ticking sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 Jeep JKU 3.8L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could have a cracked exhaust manifold. Very common on the 3.8. If you take the heat shield off the exhaust manifold you will be able to see if there are black carbon lines where it’s cracked. The manifold crack sounds like a tick and usually gets a bit quieter as the engine gets hot.
The fuel injectors can also make a ticking sound.

thanks for the quick response! For me, The sound doesn’t ever go away during a drive. We were out all Sunday on the trails and heard the sound the whole time.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
thanks for the quick response! For me, The sound doesn’t ever go away during a drive. We were out all Sunday on the trails and heard the sound the whole time.
It won’t go away if the manifold is cracked it just may not be quite as loud as when the engine is cold. Doesn’t cost anything to check it.

·
Registered
2010 Jeep JKU 3.8L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It won’t go away if the manifold is cracked it just may not be quite as loud as when the engine is cold. Doesn’t cost anything to check it.

Got it. Thank you. I kind of tried to look at it yesterday and didn’t see anything but I also didn’t remove the heat shield. I’ll give it a better look later. What exactly am I looking for when I’m looking at it? I’m hoping this is the issue don’t really want to get into cracking everything open.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
The sound of course is louder with the heat shield off but you should see black carbon lines on the manifold if there are cracks. I had muffler cement on this one for awhile until I had a chance to change it out. Access is easier through the inner wheel well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bro you did say the ticking picks up speed as you go faster?
I had a similar experience with my 08 jk but the ticking was coming from the back. I jacked up the rear started the engine put it in 1st gear and went behind to have a listen. Even though I could hear the ticking loud and clear I couldn't isolate whether it was coming from the diff or the left side axle? I made a makeshift stethoscope using a clear plastic tube and heard it a little louder as I moved closer to the diff. I decided to drain the rear diff and remove the cover to have a better look. To my surprise I discovered the ticking was coming from the center pin holding the planetary carrier together. For some reason the pin had sheared in half and the shorter sheared end was moving back and forth as I drove hitting the main gear which was causing the ticking. It was a $20 repair to replace the pin. I had to thoroughly clean the diff though because there were metal shredded fibres that had been shaven off the pin every time it hit the gear. I gave the diff a thorough wash out with a few cans of carburettor cleaner spray and hoped that the bearings were not damaged from all the sheared metal fibres cause that would have been an expensive repair. If you haven't located the problem yet I'd be checking your front diff as you may have the same problem?
If it is the problem make sure you mark the bolts and caps holding the planetary carrier and replace them bolt for bolt and cap for cap UP AND DOWN EXACTLY AS YOU REMOVED THEM. LAY THEM OUT ON A FLAT SURFACE IN THE SAME PATTERN THEY WERE REMOVED. THE SHIMS AS WELL. EVERYTHING THE WAY IT WAS!
Check the rear diff as well because the ticking could be coming from there? Where the sound sounds like its coming from may not necessarily be the case? It could be the rear diff? Take your time and be thorough and you will figure it out.
Good luck...

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
671 Posts
+1 on the cracked exhaust manifold. Had that happen to me at about 125K - it was made worse by one of the bolts shearing off during the uninstall - what should have been an hour to two hours ended up taking the entire day.

Reactions: Mjames14

·
Registered
2010 Jeep JKU 3.8L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The sound of course is louder with the heat shield off but you should see black carbon lines on the manifold if there are cracks. I had muffler cement on this one for awhile until I had a chance to change it out. Access is easier through the inner wheel well.

Definitely going to rush through work to get home to look at it. Lol. Thanks. I’ll keep you posted

·
Registered
2010 Jeep JKU 3.8L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bro you did say the ticking picks up speed as you go faster?
I had a similar experience with my 08 jk but the ticking was coming from the back. I jacked up the rear started the engine put it in 1st gear and went behind to have a listen. Even though I could hear the ticking loud and clear I couldn't isolate whether it was coming from the diff or the left side axle? I made a makeshift stethoscope using a clear plastic tube and heard it a little louder as I moved closer to the diff. I decided to drain the rear diff and remove the cover to have a better look. To my surprise I discovered the ticking was coming from the center pin holding the planetary carrier together. For some reason the pin had sheared in half and the shorter sheared end was moving back and forth as I drove hitting the main gear which was causing the ticking. It was a $20 repair to replace the pin. I had to thoroughly clean the diff though because there were metal shredded fibres that had been shaven off the pin every time it hit the gear. I gave the diff a thorough wash out with a few cans of carburettor cleaner spray and hoped that the bearings were not damaged from all the sheared metal fibres cause that would have been an expensive repair. If you haven't located the problem yet I'd be checking your front diff as you may have the same problem?
If it is the problem make sure you mark the bolts and caps holding the planetary carrier and replace them bolt for bolt and cap for cap UP AND DOWN EXACTLY AS YOU REMOVED THEM. LAY THEM OUT ON A FLAT SURFACE IN THE SAME PATTERN THEY WERE REMOVED. THE SHIMS AS WELL. EVERYTHING THE WAY IT WAS!
Check the rear diff as well because the ticking could be coming from there? Where the sound sounds like its coming from may not necessarily be the case? It could be the rear diff? Take your time and be thorough and you will figure it out.
Good luck...
Thanks for the detailed response. But was your sound was happening during driving not at idle? Mine happens at idle so i don’t think it would be the diff.

·
Registered
2010 Jeep JKU 3.8L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
+1 on the cracked exhaust manifold. Had that happen to me at about 125K - it was made worse by one of the bolts shearing off during the uninstall - what should have been an hour to two hours ended up taking the entire day.
Was it a pretty simple ticking sound or was there more to it? I’m really hoping that’s what it is. Lol. My at home mechanic skills haven’t reached a status of entering the enjoy.

·
Registered
2010 Jeep JKU 3.8L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

here’s my sound. You can hear it some over the normal engine sound

·
Registered
2010 Jeep JKU 3.8L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hear exhaust leak.

[/QUOTE

I took the heat shield off and didn’t see any cracks in the manifold. Maybe it’s the gasket ?? I’m going to my mechanic friend now. I’m sure his trained ear will find it.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
It could be the underside of the manifold or the pipe flange.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm taking my 2015 Wrangler Rubicon to the dealer on Monday to have the TICK diagnosed. Only have 60,650 miles on the Jeep, way too early for this kind of problem. Called the customer care line and of course was informed that it is out of warranty, so all costs will be out of pocket....not happy about this to say the least. Love the Jeep, but so disappointed.

·
Retired Moderator
104,195 Posts
I'm taking my 2015 Wrangler Rubicon to the dealer on Monday to have the TICK diagnosed. Only have 60,650 miles on the Jeep, way too early for this kind of problem. Called the customer care line and of course was informed that it is out of warranty, so all costs will be out of pocket....not happy about this to say the least. Love the Jeep, but so disappointed.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.
Probably a bad rocker arm roller bearing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts