Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the symptoms or ways you'd feel in your jeep if the tie rod needed adjusting? Does this affect looseness or play in the steering wheel?

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Worn tie rod ends could cause a sloppy feel in the steering.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could they be worn at 30K miles? My understanding is stock ball joints crap out around now but I hadn't heard about the tie road ends. What I'm feeling is while moving forward after a complete stop and while turning the steering wheel the the wheel seems looser and or there are play spots in it when I'm letting it straighten back out. It's a weird feeling on felt in the steering wheel.

currently running a 2010 with 33K miles
305/70/16 Duratracs
TF 2.5 lift
Various other suspension components and such

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Have a helper turn the steering wheel slowly back and forth while you observe the tie rod ends. Also check the u-joints on the intermediate shaft.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The intermediate shaft is fairly new. I had it replaced under warranty some time ago maybe 10K miles. It does the classic clunk sometimes when turning the steering wheel but I've just learned to live with it since it seems to return no matter what. I will check out the tie rod ends but I've been looking a replacement to go with those and new ball joints all around. Not sure what to do here though as you can buy just the new tie rod ends or a whole new rod from RK, Synergy Systems etc. Thoughts?

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
IF it turns out the tie rods are worn already (30K seems low), I would look into a whole new tie rod from one of the companies you mentioned. They feature heavy duty 1 ton style tie rod ends.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might as well ask this but could a damaged or leaky SS cause this kind of looseness? I know most say they are pretty much useless.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
I say no. The stabilizer just absorbs shocks to the steering like potholes and bumps.

Do you offroad your Jeep?

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeppers. This didn't really show up until after a recent trip to Uwharrie with a bunch of other crazies from the forums here.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
I asked because for a JK driven strictly on road, the stock tie rod should suffice. But if the OEM tie rod ends have a short lifespan and you do offroad, I suggest going with a heavier duty replacement (if indeed the tie rod ends are worn).

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
ESP said:
This didn't really show up until after a recent trip to Uwharrie with a bunch of other crazies from the forums here.
:dance:

New avatar from said trip . . .

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was under the jeep this morning and looking over the ball joints and tie rod end joints, all seem to be fine and still in good condition. I stuck my finger inside the stock steering stabilizer and there was a lot of mud and dry dirt inside the cover. I don't do mud much only a few times where is was really bad but I do wheel my jeep where it's pretty dirty. I'm wondering if some of the mud/dirt debris has gotten into the stabilizer and is causing some of the skips in the steering wheel when turning?

Does this sound plausible?

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Bent rod on said stabilizer?

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't think so. I never hit anything while on the trails this past weekend. The SS looks fine with no markings from anything coming into contact with it. I've got this question posted on another forum too and they are recommending u-joint replacement. Sound like a good candidate for this?

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
English kjeeper English!!

Yeah I'm glad to know that a replacement tie rod if needed isn't a big deal money wise. I'll have the dealership check the tie rod, tie rod ends, and u-joints on Wednesday to see if the warranty fairy will be nice to me.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts