Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a heck of a time trying to find a tie rod that will work with my 15" level 8 trackers. They've got 3.75" back spacing. Metal cloaks don't work, it sounds like synergy are probably out. I'd rather not put another stock one on, does anyone have any advice.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In case anyone needs the info in the future, it appears that "the combo" or basically any 15" wheel limits you to using the stock tie rod. Metal cloak, rock krawler, synergy, etc all use tre's that are too big to clear the wheels.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've already got 3.75" backspacing. That's a good thought, but Wheel spacers aren't really a good solution for this issue.

·
Registered
495 Posts
KJeeper10 posted a thread about this, but I couldn't ascertain from that thread what the issue was with running 15s and upgrading the tie rod. I immediately realized the issue once I installed my lift and 15" TKOs with -19 offset.

Basically, the inner bead rides right along the tie rod joint at the knuckle with maybe 1/4" of clearance. I suppose running spacers could be a temporary solution to running 15s with aftermarket steering components, but I don't think I would personally run spacers for long. The 3.75" backspacing is already putting more stress on the bearings than 17s with 4.5" backspacing would.

All that said, had I been able to determine the issue before, I would have ordered 17s for my JK.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had been reading all those threads. The manufacturers all say they won't work. If I had the wheel tire decision to do over again, I would have gone 16-17" wheels. I wish I could spend the 325 on a synergy just to see if it fit, but I'm trying to save for a re gear, and I think it makes more sense just to stay stock because I know it'll fit. It sucks because I'd like to upgrade, but I just have the faith that it'll fit.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
I had been reading all those threads. The manufacturers all say they won't work. If I had the wheel tire decision to do over again, I would have gone 16-17" wheels. I wish I could spend the 325 on a synergy just to see if it fit, but I'm trying to save for a re gear, and I think it makes more sense just to stay stock because I know it'll fit. It sucks because I'd like to upgrade, but I just have the faith that it'll fit.
RK's original tie rod uses 2 stock pitman arm joints. This one will work.

If you do decide on wheels .. Jump right to 17's.
Skip 16's .. Much more tire options in 17".

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any idea where I can find an original? I'm seeing the new one all over the place, but nothing about one that'll use stock pitman joints

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I'm running the original RK tie rod. I also have the same Level8 Trackers with 3.75" backspacing. They're tight, but they clear. A 1/4" more backspace and they'd hit.

Call RK or Jason at Krawl Off-Road. They might be able to source you one.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
In case anyone needs the info in the future, it appears that "the combo" or basically any 15" wheel limits you to using the stock tie rod. Metal cloak, rock krawler, synergy, etc all use tre's that are too big to clear the wheels.
I thought this was common knowledge. Some only work with 17's. Brake upgrades cannot be done with 15's also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts