Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. Ok so I replaced the Tie Rod (and other after market parts) on my 2000 Wrangler TJ. The right hub housing tie rod arm is rubbing against the inside of the rim. According to my mechanic the Tie Rod is about 1/2 in too long. Anybody with a similar problem and/or ideas on how to fix it? Also, what is the factory specs for the tie rod for this year and model? If I had to replace the Tie Rod, I want to make sure it is the right length. Thank you in advance.

·
Retired Moderator
102,504 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

Reactions: Zypherus

·
Registered
2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Ok here are two images. You can see the inside of the rim and the area of the tie rod that are rubbing together. This was an aftermarket tie road. You can see o also added a washer to the knuckle stop bold to see if this would help me correct the issue but I did not

·
Registered
2002 Wrangler
64 Posts
What else did you replace? Looks like lots of new stuff in that pic
Do you have a pic of the entire linkage?

·
Registered
588 Posts
What rims are those? That looks like ALOT of backspacing. I run 3.5" BS on all my TJ/LJ and my tierod is nowhere near the rim.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Also...That would be the Drag Link on a TJ/LJ that comes from the steering box all the way across to the Passenger side knuckle. What brand and part number is it?

·
Registered
2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What else did you replace? Looks like lots of new stuff in that pic
Do you have a pic of the entire linkage?
Pretty much everything. All you see in there is new. I will get a picture of linkage and I will send it over. Thanks

·
Registered
2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What rims are those? That looks like ALOT of backspacing. I run 3.5" BS on all my TJ/LJ and my tierod is nowhere near the rim.
They are 15s. The weird thing is that it did not had the issue with the old Tie Road...?

·
Registered
2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also...That would be the Drag Link on a TJ/LJ that comes from the steering box all the way across to the Passenger side knuckle. What brand and part number is it?
That is correct. I got it from Amazon as a set. See below.
OCPTY - New 13-Piece fit for 1997-2006 for Jeep Wrangler - Front Upper Lower Ball Joint Front Tie Rod End Track Bar Sway Bar End Link Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeve
by OCPTY
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085RYJRHT/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_ZCZ34B7VZF4GAQQAZ157?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
75 Posts
Are the ends of the rod offset? As in if you swapped ends the rod would be closer to the knuckle instead of the rim?

Granted mine is a JK but you can see the rearward curve in the end of the rod.

·
Registered
2002 Wrangler
64 Posts
Does the other side rub? If not then how much clearance is there?
Do you have the old parts? If so check to see if they are the same as the installed ones, that is for all parts replaced.
Are they the same wheels that were on with the old parts?
Did you change the steering stops? Or alter them in any way?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts