Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

I've got some shimmying that seems to be getting increasingly worse. I took in my 09 jku to get an alignment last week hoping that might help, but it seems to be even shakier now.

The sweet spot is right around 50-55 mph and it gets real jumpy and jittery.

I crawled under today after reading several of the DW forums, and the first thing that popped out was how seemingly loose my tie rod and drag bar link are. Is this how it is supposed to be, or should they resist when you're pushing on them?

Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Your tie rod and drag link should be tight. I have to grab mine with both hands and put a lot of force on them to move them. If you can easily move them, then they are worn out.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Like kjeeper said, u can rotate them pretty easily, I can rotate mine with 1 hand and I have less than 2000 miles on the Jeep. Side to side movement is not ok though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't been able to test the steering with another person yet.

Did check the video, but couldn't get an idea as to whether this much range in movement was normal. The bushings appear to be worn out upon quick visual inspection.

The movement is up and down, not side to side. There is probably a good 2-3'' of travel from the highest point to the lowest.

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
I haven't been able to test the steering with another person yet.

Did check the video, but couldn't get an idea as to whether this much range in movement was normal. The bushings appear to be worn out upon quick visual inspection.

The movement is up and down, not side to side. There is probably a good 2-3'' of travel from the highest point to the lowest.
If you disconnect your steering stabilizer and have someone steer from side to side you will probably feel a "thud" or "bump" in the drag link or tie rod. Make sure you disconnect the steering stabilizer as it can mask the problem.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The drag link is supposed to rotate some. This is a required part of the suspension. The tie rod should only rotate a very small amount.

Google for the Planman death wobble videos on YouTube. Follow them exactly and you'll be able to diagnose any issues you might have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts