Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I think I may have nailed down the source of my death wobble - doing a dry steering test, I found some vertical movement (as well as felt a catch) in the tie rod end that connects to my pitman arm.

As I have been informed that all 4 of my tie rod ends will need replacing soon anyways, I'm thinking of just going nuts, and replacing the entire drag link and tie rod assembly (along with all the ends and the steering stabilizer). Better to spend a little more and overfix than not spend enough and underfix, you know?

This will be on a stock '06 Sport, and it doesn't get too much off-road use (though, given the road conditions out here in Western MA, that may not exactly be a true statement!), though I don't think I'd mind the extra durability some off-road quality equipment would probably bring.

Would anyone out there have any recommendations as to what I should consider for replacement parts?

Thanks!

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
If you ever plan on going with over sized tires or more wheeling, I would suggest you go with the stock drag link and upgrade the tie rod to a ZJ tie rod. Napa part #'s for the ZJ are:

Napa Part # NCP 268-6085 Tie Rod

Napa Part # NCP 269-2788 Tie Rod End

Napa Part # NCP 269-1134 Adjustment Sleeve

·
Registered
586 Posts
I did this mod on my 04 TJ. Ordered Moog parts from Amazon. Pop your old one off with a pickle fork. Then make the new ZJ tie rod the exact same length, centerline of bolt to bolt. When you put it back on you should not have to move your tire or knuckle. If you do you will probably need an alignment.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Forget the pickle fork to change tie rod and drag link ends. Loosen the nut on the end so it's about flush with the top of the stud. Then use a 2 lb. hammer and sharply strike the end of the of the steering knuckle where the tie rod end is (see picture). It may take about 4 whacks, and it will drop right out. The nut will keep it from falling. Do not hit the stud or nut with the hammer. These are tapered joints, and they can all be taken apart the same way in the matter of a few minutes.

You can do your own toe-in adjustment. It's very easy to do with a tape measure and a 15mm wrench. http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions (Water Dog - I think you meant NCP 269-6085 for the tie rod, as searching NAPA for 268-6085 had no results)!

I was looking at the rugged ridge setup here, but after reading the reviews in this thread, I'm inclined to stay away from them.

Has anyone had any experiences with these guys? Right now, I'm more inclined to go with the ZJ conversion, to be honest.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just ordered the Crown HD steering kit which is essentially the ZJ setup for $130 off amazon. And, it comes with the drag link. I heard the boots are junk so I plan on replacing those.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts