Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got back from 4 wheel parts... Turns out I need to replace my tie rods and passenger upper and lower ball joints. I'm gonna do the synergy ball joints, cause I still have a warranty. I'm not so sure as to what brands I should go with for the tie rods. Also, as far as I know, there is 1 tie rod, 1 trac bar, and 1 drag link... Is the drag link the second tie rod?

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
There is only one tie rod but maybe they meant both ends are bad. This is fixed by just getting a new tie rod. The drag link is separate and different. How many miles on the jeep?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is only one tie rod but maybe they meant you need to replace both ends of it. This is done by just getting a new tie rod. The drag link is separate and different. How many miles on the jeep?
well, that's what I know.. But he said it connects to the Pittman arm, so that's the drag link, right? It's a 2007 with 57000 miles on it (roughly).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! So do you know of a good brand? He suggested the Currie heavy steering kit. That has both "tie rods," but it's 1100 bucks.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,763 Posts
What a crappy choice ... Why the hell would anybody choose synergy :D

Tip: take a close look around the double adjuster for fine metal filings/burrs.
My one complaint with the track bar .. I could see and fell many sharp edges and burrs. I removed the joint, sleeve and cleaned off the anti-sieze. Next I filed all the edges smooth and reassembled w/ anti-sieze.
Doing this will enable the adjuster to move freely.
I was more worried -with some age- rust taking over things and burrs seizing the adjuster.

·
Registered
664 Posts
What a crappy choice ... Why the hell would anybody choose synergy :D

Tip: take a close look around the double adjuster for fine metal filings/burrs.
My one complaint with the track bar .. I could see and fell many sharp edges and burrs. I removed the joint, sleeve and cleaned off the anti-sieze. Next I filed all the edges smooth and reassembled w/ anti-sieze.
Doing this will enable the adjuster to move freely.
I was more worried -with some age- rust taking over things and burrs seizing the adjuster.
Gonna have to do this. Felt some minor bind on my drag link while adjusting.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Looks like your bend is up to high at the knuckle. Loosen the bolt and straighten the joint out.
Old pic, already straightened it out after I saw the drag link thread over at JKO. :happyyes: As for the tie rod, is it possible to be completely level, or is the only way with a SS mount? Right now it's kinda of facing downward.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What a crappy choice ... Why the hell would anybody choose synergy :D Tip: take a close look around the double adjuster for fine metal filings/burrs. My one complaint with the track bar .. I could see and fell many sharp edges and burrs. I removed the joint, sleeve and cleaned off the anti-sieze. Next I filed all the edges smooth and reassembled w/ anti-sieze. Doing this will enable the adjuster to move freely. I was more worried -with some age- rust taking over things and burrs seizing the adjuster.
had me really worried for a second...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay. I've got the new tie rod on, but I can't get the old DL off. It's disconnected from the knuckle, but it's stuck on the pitman arm. Any ideas? I've tried a hammer, I've tried using a fork, PB blaster, and I'm out of ideas.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
53,763 Posts
How come you didn't go with the Rancho Steering Stabilizer why did you go with Fox instead. Which of the 2 would be more important to upgrade the tie rod or drag link? Also how much more is the synergy tierod oppose to the oem tierod, and also drag link?
I ran the Rancho 7000 before the ATS,
Matador really turned me on to the Fox ATS. Believe me ... I was hesitant. Finally broke down and bought it. If you google Fox ATS .. You'll see Matadors and My thread on here.

Aways back I replaced my oem tie rod and drag link. Everything including new adjusters, clamps, etc cost $250 (oem)
About a year later a couple of my stock TRE's showed some play.
I would go with whatever is needed first. Run stock until there's wear/play ... Then replace.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts