Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make long a story short. I didn't have time myself to do my water pump and t-stat so I dropped it off at a local shop to have that done. I mentioned I occasionally when I hit just the right bump it'll set the Jeep off into a death wobble and if he could inspect the front end for any front end play.

Turns our pretty much every tie rod end needs to be replaced. He quoted me like $700 to do that job. I figure I can at least do the labor and the alignment in my driveway since I did that after the Metalcloak lift was installed.

So my question is can I reuse my existing for tie rod bar, center link bar, and just buy new tie rod ends etc and replace them or should I just replace the entire assembly with new parts ? Also, how much of a pain in the ass am I in for ?

Thanks in advance
--Dennis

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just replace the tie rod ends. Unless the bars are damaged or broken. A pickle fork and pipe wrench makes it a very easy job. When I did mine I just counted the threads on the old end joint and put new on on to match. A quick alignment after and you're set. Only takes around 2-3 hours

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I'm not mistaken I need to buy a new drag bar link since one of the joints is built into that. Correct ?

My Jeep is mainly a daily driver the occasional off road. is it work it to convert to XJ parts ?

·
Registered
229 Posts
You are correct. All others you can just get the ends. ZJ upgrade is mainly for heavy duty off road. I only occasionally hit back roads and trails and never felt the need to upgrade.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found this thread
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/zj-drag-link-and-tie-rod-end-swap-912586.html#post13730690

I that parts list accurate?
ZJ Front End Parts

1 - DS1310 - right side, outer tie-rod (This is what we call the drag link.)
1 - DS1312 - left side, inner tie-rod (This is what we call the tie rod.)
2 - ES3096L - Left hand thread tie-rod end (One of these is needed for the end of both the above parts.)
1 - ES2079S - Tie Rod End Adjustment Sleeve (I chose to get two of these.)

What year ZJ's work for this ?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Thats the one, any V8 ZJ 93-98 should work. super simple upgrade. Takes the .66" hollow tube and replaces it with a solid 1" tube.
I found this thread
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/zj-drag-link-and-tie-rod-end-swap-912586.html#post13730690

I that parts list accurate?
ZJ Front End Parts

1 - DS1310 - right side, outer tie-rod (This is what we call the drag link.)
1 - DS1312 - left side, inner tie-rod (This is what we call the tie rod.)
2 - ES3096L - Left hand thread tie-rod end (One of these is needed for the end of both the above parts.)
1 - ES2079S - Tie Rod End Adjustment Sleeve (I chose to get two of these.)

What year ZJ's work for this ?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anything to be concerned with clearance wise in regards to the Metalcloak trackbar, etc.. using the ZJ parts ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts