Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Tie Rod replacement?

23K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  GetRDun 
#1 ·
This thread is a bit of an offshoot from a thread I made back in March regarding death wobble. After the jeep dealership looked it over, I was told that I needed a new steering stabilizer.
I had my more trusted mechanic order the stabilizer and install it. I figured I would also get an oil change and rotation while they were installing the SS, and while on the rack, he showed me how there was play in the tie rod ends. Not what he said was a lot, but enough to warrant needing them replaced soon.

The mechanic said that there should be zero play with the tie rod ends, and trying to balance the tires would be a waste of time.

He suggested going with Moog replacement and gave me a quote.

So what does the hive say? Play in the tie rod ends?
Does it warrant replacement?

Thanks

#3 ·
There should be no play in any part of your steering linkage.
I agree, Yeti is a great option. Going with standard Moog replacements would not be my choice. I would want something a step up from OEM.
I addition to Yeti, which is typically the whole Tie rod with the ball joints already installed, there are options like Synergy, Teraflex, or Dynatrac ball joints. But the Yeti option also replaces the stock tie rod with something much stronger. That would be my choice.

#4 ·
One and done it by calling Dan at Fusion 4x4 and tell him your a member here to get the discount... and get the Fusion 2.5 Ton tie rod that uses the incredible Rare Parts joints. The Fusion TR eats Yeti parts for breakfast.

Reactions: Hedgehog2JKU
#7 ·
I have the Synergy tie-rod, i wanted something that will fit my aftermarket diameter SS clamp, so it will also with the stock diameter clamp, it's been proven around rocks, and good damn it i ran mine in a rock garden with the rod ends loose, because i didn't torque them down properly, the tie-rod spun on the ends, but nothing happened to them or the rods, they're GM 1 ton rod ends that are available at any autoparts in case you needed a replacement, i've rested the weight of the Jeep on it, i have slammed it against rocks, ZERO issues with it, and it continues to take a beating without any problems. And i can drive my Jeep at 80mph with one hand as well :)

#9 ·
MOOG is a brand name only, they ceased to exist as a manufacturer when the brand was purchased by Federal Mogal. For the most part they sell import crap just like the other brands that don't actually make their own parts.

#10 ·
Guys, thanks for all the replies. I have subscribed to this thread, but apparently haven't been getting the emails?

To be honest, I wouldn't know the difference between Moog, Synergy, Yeti if my life depended on it. I would love to be able to drop a big chunk of money into my Jeep, but for me right now it's not feasible. I would however like something better than OEM.

I would like something that's going to last at least another 50-75k miles, that's not going to break the bank. I don't do any heavy off-roading, but do occasionally end up on the typical single-lane backroad with potholes and bumps. I'm not rock crawling or anything like that. This is just my daily driver that ends up out in the country sometimes.
Maybe there's something out there that's right for my needs that won't be overkill?

Again, thanks for all the feedback and options.

#17 ·
I smacked a boulder a couple years ago and thought I just threw out the alignment. Dealer put it on the alignment rack and said the rod was bent and quoted me something stupid (approx $500) to replace with OEM and align. I think I got my Crown replacement delivered for $110.00. Put it on with my 12 y/o son and we did our own alignment with a tape measure. Took it back to the dealer the next week just to double check the alignment. The tech remembered us and thought we went somewhere else for the repair. Told him we did the install and alignment ourselves. He said it all looked great and that the alignment was only out by 1/16" Service manager liked the father/son DIY and decided not to charge us for fine tuning our work. (My JKUR is on a 2.5" coil lift and 35" and the Crown has been great for 15,000 miles.)

#12 ·
OP in such case, call the dealer, get the Mopar part number for the rod end replacements, then shop around online, or check Ebay, Craiglist or Jeep forums, etc, for the whole tie-rod replacement, you should be able to find them used for $100, prob less, sometimes people just want to get rid of them, and they'll offer them for free.
Have fun.

#24 ·
I am glad I came across this topic today. I have been researching tie rod ends through various auto parts stores and have not found any that seemed any better than OEM. After reading the reviews here about Steer Smarts Yeti tie rod assembly I have ordered one through Quadratec. Now for the anticipated arrival!

#29 ·
@larry0071
Thanks for the pic. I'm at Jeep Beach 2018 here in Daytona, plan on checking out some jeeps and seeing if they have a vendor spot. Looks beefy as hell.
The one that came with my hardcore set up was puny and bent first trip out.

#31 ·
My buddy had a synergy tie rod for about 2 months on a JK also used at Rausch Creek on red rated rock crawling trails, that thing pretzels up real nice. He went to a Rock Krawler monster and never had another issue. Just a heads up...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

#32 ·
I have a metal cloak TR with the stock drag link. Works fine.

I bought the metal cloak because the ends will fit a 15x8 inch wheel with 4 inches of backspace. Most of the other brands won't.

It's held up fine, though I will admit I havnt done much hardcore crawling since I put it on, but it has been on the rocks.

Only thing I don't like about it is that it's metal cloak house brand ends, so replacements aren't available at any ole auto parts store.

I'm happy with the purchase so far though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.