Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question concerning these 2 parts...I experienced DW once while hitting an insanely rough spot in the roadway and that's really been the only time so I got to looking at the front end...all my ball joints look good, i have no play in the front end, track bar has no movement in steering, the only thing I found was the Tie rod ends and the steering linkage ends have play in them...both bars you can twist..there is no up, down or side to side movement just a twisting action, and the boots seem to be squishy in appearance if that helps

Just kind of curious if that is normal?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Twisting is normal. If you have somebody turn the steering wheel 9-3. And the rod ends pop up and down .. They're worn.
Tie Rods won't cause DW but contribute too it IF say the TB bad. Did you check the track bar bushings/holes for wear ?
thats actually how I spotted the movement was when the wife was working the wheel for me..i heard a clunk and noticed the movement..i was actually watching the TB and it seems tight and free of movement..no wiggle no sway to the bar when it was turned...but you can grap the tie rod and make it clunk it twists full range top to bottom it seems..its kind of hard to do it but it does happen

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
thats actually how I spotted the movement was when the wife was working the wheel for me..i heard a clunk and noticed the movement..i was actually watching the TB and it seems tight and free of movement..no wiggle no sway to the bar when it was turned...but you can grap the tie rod and make it clunk it twists full range top to bottom it seems..its kind of hard to do it but it does happen
Def get them replaced. Did you take a torque wrench to the TB ?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no..I didnt touch it, actually got side tracked after i found the worn ends on the other parts

1 - 5 of 5 Posts