Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
saw that Skid Row was using a fiberglass slat of some sort for tightening soft tops. something looked hmmmm?? to me and sure enough it is simple Marine supply parts for boat covers.

its a fiberglass-ish slat that can be found various places. Sail boats call this slat a Batten. Below is a source for slats and the slat holders/ pockets. could not find many sources for the slat holder/pockets. shop around you can get slats in various places though.

Pockets Slat Sockets, 2-pack
pocket info Boat Marine Vintage Boat Cover Support Bow Sockets Brackets Slats Pocket Row

slat w/pocket (cut in half? - use care in cutting fiberglass... be wise.... learn how)

·
Super Moderator
12,662 Posts
That would make a nice looking professional installation.
Other posters have used PVC pipes, Take two PVC "T"s and a length of the same size PVC pipe. I seem to remember the roll bar on my YJ is 2 1/4". I'd start with 2" or 2 1/4" PVC pipes and "T"s. You may have to cut away a section of the roll bar padding for a successful installation.
Cut the back of each "T" off so that the base of the "T" can sit against the roll bar to windshield connector bar. Then cut the length of the PVC pipe a bit longer than the distance between the two connector bars. With the pipe just a bit too long, it will bow up and hold the fabric taut. Experiment with length. This works for CJ, YJ and TJ. I don't know about anything any newer.

I think the idea of the sailboat batten would look better. It might even be adaptable to JK, JL and JT.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Good stuff. I have the Skid Row one for my YJ. No complaints. The anchors are just hose clamped onto the bar. Looks a little ghetto in my opinion. Plus sharp edge. I'm checking out the ones you posted that I can just screw into the roll bar. Cleaner look.

·
Registered
696 Posts
My Bestop Supertop NX has an aluminium batten with foam pad on the top to stop the top oscillating. It has 'feet' at either end to lift the ends of the bar so it runs close to the top all the way across. The feet fit to slots cut/moulded into the door surrounds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts