Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Was under my 2015 Rubi last weekend doing the diffs, trans-axle and manual tranny oil change when I noticed some grease that had been flung around the top. I have a 3-1/2" Metal Cloak lift with just over 60K miles. I don't know much about this, but I've read that the more extreme your axle drop is, the harder things are on it- and that I could expect this to happen eventually with any lift over about 2". What say you?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,190 Posts
That's not an axle, it's a driveshaft. And yes, I'd get it replaced soon. Once the grease starts flinging, it is the beginning of the end.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You could replace the drive shaft with a stronger aftermarket one, or just replace the rezeppa joint with a new one. Teraflex has a high angle one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's not an axle, it's a driveshaft. And yes, I'd get it replaced soon. Once the grease starts flinging, it is the beginning of the end.
My bad! Yeah- that's what I meant. :facepalm: How long you think I got?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could replace the drive shaft with a stronger aftermarket one, or just replace the rezeppa joint with a new one. Teraflex has a high angle one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
So what's the preferred route? I'm not trying to burn cash in buying the whole shaft if it's unnecessary or if there's not a big difference in the final performance. Is replacing the joint a tough job, or something that can easily be done?

·
Super Moderator
8,190 Posts
You dont know how long it's been flinging grease. The worst case scenario - it is bone dry, seizes, and destroys your transfer case and potentially a few other things in the process, which is very not cool if it happens while say driving. Best case - you've got time to run it while you order up a replacement and get it in. Safest case - pull it now. You can drive without a front driveshaft forever, just means you dont have 4WD, only 2WD until you get the replacement.

I personally would not bother rebuilding a stock one or replacing it with a stock one. Get an aftermarket, keep it greased, and drive on.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
How long you think I got?
About a week before you decide to replace it at your convenience. :pullinghair:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You dont know how long it's been flinging grease. The worst case scenario - it is bone dry, seizes, and destroys your transfer case and potentially a few other things in the process, which is very not cool if it happens while say driving. Best case - you've got time to run it while you order up a replacement and get it in. Safest case - pull it now. You can drive without a front driveshaft forever, just means you dont have 4WD, only 2WD until you get the replacement.

I personally would not bother rebuilding a stock one or replacing it with a stock one. Get an aftermarket, keep it greased, and drive on.
All good points- thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
5,369 Posts
As mentioned, running it while you plan out how to replace it is risky. If it fully fails it can get expensive fast.
If you aren't ready to replace / repair it just remove it and run without 4 wheel drive. It will be fine with only the rear shaft. I drove a couple thousand miles out to Moab that way (installed the new front shaft when we got there).
The only drawback to aftermarket is sometimes it opens up the pinion angle can of worms. We had to adjust our pinion angle with both the aftermarket front shaft and the aftermarket rear shaft we went with.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll prolly just leave the shaft on there & not touch 4WD till I get this taken care of within a couple weeks. No harm in that right?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I'll prolly just leave the shaft on there & not touch 4WD till I get this taken care of within a couple weeks. No harm in that right?

The drive shaft still spins even in 2wd since the front hubs don't unlock. The only way to safely run is to remove the drive shaft.

·
Super Moderator
5,369 Posts
Wrong. If it is installed it s spinning, whether in 2WD or 4WD. It is only a matter of some bolts to remove it completely. And if you are fixing or repairing it you have to remove it. So you might as well remove it.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Get an Adams or Tom Woods DS and be done. The stockers are crap and not designed for your current set up. 3 1/2" of lift it was going to be needed sooner or later.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Get an Adams or Tom Woods DS and be done. The stockers are crap and not designed for your current set up. 3 1/2" of lift it was going to be needed sooner or later.
So now i'm just seriously considering biting the bullet & getting a new front shaft. I didn't even have the thought of checking the rear when I was under there, but I will. Right after I saw this thread, I went on Amazon & ordered the TeraFlex Rzeppa CV kit since it seemed easy enough to do myself, but now i'm thinking the Tom Wood's might be the best solution. I guess all of us have to make this decision sooner or later right?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hey all. Was under my 2015 Rubi last weekend doing the diffs, trans-axle and manual tranny oil change when I noticed some grease that had been flung around the top. I have a 3-1/2" Metal Cloak lift with just over 60K miles. I don't know much about this, but I've read that the more extreme your axle drop is, the harder things are on it- and that I could expect this to happen eventually with any lift over about 2". What say you?
Thats a driveshaft, same thing happend to me. In my exp i just took mine off and ran without one till i saved up for an Adams. Just made sure and not put it in 4WD. No issues now.

·
Registered
240 Posts
So now i'm just seriously considering biting the bullet & getting a new front shaft. I didn't even have the thought of checking the rear when I was under there, but I will. Right after I saw this thread, I went on Amazon & ordered the TeraFlex Rzeppa CV kit since it seemed easy enough to do myself, but now i'm thinking the Tom Wood's might be the best solution. I guess all of us have to make this decision sooner or later right?
Adams Driveshaft $475 shipped, holding up great after a year!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just an update: I did end up removing the front shaft (was easier than I thought) and have decided to give the TeraFlex Rzeppa CV replacement kit a try since many said they've experienced good results. And for less than $160, why not. Obligatory pics of the old...

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
I just replaced my rear driveshaft with an Adams and will be doing the front soon. I have read good and bad about repairing the Rzeppa joint. Some have done it and said no issues, some said the repaired joint only lasted a few months.... I didn't want to deal with it again so I just replaced the whole thing. Good luck on your repair...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just replaced my rear driveshaft with an Adams and will be doing the front soon. I have read good and bad about repairing the Rzeppa joint. Some have done it and said no issues, some said the repaired joint only lasted a few months.... I didn't want to deal with it again so I just replaced the whole thing. Good luck on your repair...
Thanks- i'll let everyone know how it goes. Part of me trying this route was that vids made it look super easy to do for someone in their driveway with simple tools. Are the new shafts just direct bolt-ons as well, or is it much more involved? I seemed to remember seeing a YT vid of an aftermarket install at a shop on a lift where much more needed to be removed with special tools req'd and such. I figure at that point i'll just bring it in to a shop to do the work..

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Upgrade or roll the dice and take it to the dealer. That's part of your drivetrain warranty and I've had mine replaced as such, although you'll be back at this point again at some point.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts