Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to start looking at a winch. So need some suggestions with what I am lolling for.

1. I go truly off-road 2-4 times a year. Being down here in SLFA, need to drive to parks for some good stuff.

2. Need one on a budget, so no WARN.

3. Want Synthetic line

4. Do I need to get a IPX67 or 68 if its exposed to rain all the time?

5. Prefer the lighter the better.

I don't expect to use it much, but when I do, I need it to work.

Thoughts and suggestions?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I picked up a Smittybilt XRC winch at Jeep Beach pretty cheaply. I think it was in the $350 range. You can probably pick one up at a fair price from Morris at one of their next events.
It has everything that you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have been extremely happy with my quadratec winch. Pulls well (a little slow) but it is no big deal. used it for self recovery a number of times and also to pull other stuck vehicles (including 3/4 trucks): https://www.quadratec.com/products/92122_2042_07.htm

As to the waterproofing, mine is in the rain and snow and i haven't had an issue. If you are near the florida coast, with all that salty air it might be better to look for the ip67 rating.

·
Super Moderator
5,728 Posts
I also have the Quadratec winch. $500 / synthetic line / nice black look / and I have had good experiences with Quadratec as far as support goes. I would think others like Smittybuilt would be fine, but I like that with the Quadratec winch I am buying the winch from the same people that stand behind the winch. If there is a problem I don't have to worry about the people I bought the winch from passing me down the line.
Hopefully it will work like an umbrella and I will never need it. If I do need it I hope it is to help someone else get unstuck. But knowing it is there makes me feel better when we are in the middle of no where.

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also have the Quadratec winch. $500 / synthetic line / nice black look / and I have had good experiences with Quadratec as far as support goes. I would think others like Smittybuilt would be fine, but I like that with the Quadratec winch I am buying the winch from the same people that stand behind the winch. If there is a problem I don't have to worry about the people I bought the winch from passing me down the line.

Hopefully it will work like an umbrella and I will never need it. If I do need it I hope it is to help someone else get unstuck. But knowing it is there makes me feel better when we are in the middle of no where.

Thinking the same as you. Just thinking about weather and salt air here is SFLA having effects on it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I also run an ENGO 10k winch for 5 years now. It is slow but does the job at a fraction of the price. I have not had a problem with it once but don't use it much either.

Reactions: HoundsJKU

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I've had the Smittybilt (98512) X2O 12k waterproof synthetic for about 9 months now, and I can't say a bad thing about it. I've pulled one stump out of the ground and my bro-in-law's Tacoma out of the sand a few months ago. I got it for $600 from Amazon.

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also would the WARN 96805 VR8-S Series be worth extra dollars?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have the Smittybilt 9500 xrc winch. I don't have the synthetic line but I like it. I've used it quite a few times and the only issue I had with it is it wouldn't go in reverse with the remote. It would pull the line in but not out. Took it apart and a wire just came loose. Works like a champ now. It has survived Utah winters no problem. I have a cover for it and it still looks as good as new... well as good as a winch would look after constantly having to pull out my buddys XJ.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just ordered a Rough County 9500 lb with the synthetic rope... Should have it in another week or so

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the Smittybilt (98512) X2O waterproof synthetic for over 2 years and not a single issue. Use it about 4- 5 times a year always to pull others out....:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Superwinch makes some good winches and do not rebadge. They actually design theirs. I have the Tigershark 9500SR synthetic. Good winch. Good company. Good price. They even sent me a bunch of swag doe oistonf a pic on their fb page. Do some reading up and you'll see they get great reliability reviews.
For the same money, the Chinese low end Warns do not, but I've never owned one. Good luck!

Attachments

Reactions: Hi-Lander

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your winch should have its own depending upon if it's synthetic (hawes) or steel cable (roller).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts