Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took it to the shop for a brake inspection and this is what I saw. And a couple of pieces fell out.

Shop want $350 to replace both rear brakes (drum,shoe,brake kit). Should I just get it fixed or try for a brake swap..

I only found this for the swap D35 Disc Brake Conversion - 1

Does anyone have a better step by step link? And anyone that has done it how easy was it ?

97 TJ dana 35 2.5 4 cyl.

Ty

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Disc brakes work better and are easier to service in the future. If you have the time and/or money I would strongly consider converting. I always look at repairs as an opportunity to upgrade.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm not sure if there are any performance gains with disc vs drums on a tj. But my 05 has disc front and rear and it was a breeze to change pads last weekend. About 15 minutes a wheel. :thumb:

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
If you're going to pay a shop $350 to do the rear drum brake, but for the same or less, you're willing to do the disk conversion yourself (and you plan on keeping the D35 dif), I'd do the conversion. The other option would be to do the drum brakes yourself and save a bundle.

I replaced both drums, shoes, and wheel cylinders about a year and a half ago and total parts were about $135. For just a little more, you could get hardware kits for both sides.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're going to pay a shop $350 to do the rear drum brake, but for the same or less, you're willing to do the disk conversion yourself (and you plan on keeping the D35 dif), I'd do the conversion. The other option would be to do the drum brakes yourself and save a bundle.

I replaced both drums, shoes, and wheel cylinders about a year and a half ago and total parts were about $135. For just a little more, you could get hardware kits for both sides.
Yeh I see that autozone has everything for less than $100. Just never have done the back brakes and all those misc part scare me that I wont be able to put it all back together. If I can't is it possible to just put the drum back in and drive it about 4 miles to a shop ?

Have lots of junk yard around me just have to wait for monday to get prices on the parts I need to covert it to disc brake. Just don't like the part about havin to open the differential cover.

I Want to spent the least possible to get this fixed as I have a few more things I need to take care of on the Jeep..

Thanks all

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Yeh I see that autozone has everything for less than $100. Just never have done the back brakes and all those misc part scare me that I wont be able to put it all back together. If I can't is it possible to just put the drum back in and drive it about 4 miles to a shop ?

Have lots of junk yard around me just have to wait for monday to get prices on the parts I need to covert it to disc brake. Just don't like the part about havin to open the differential cover.

I Want to spent the least possible to get this fixed as I have a few more things I need to take care of on the Jeep..

Thanks all
I wouldn't drive with no rear brakes. Just take plenty of pictures before you start taking things apart. Rear brakes are pretty easy to change.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
The brakes aren't as intimidating as they seem. Just get all the parts before hand, then do one side at a time so you can use the other side as a reference point if you don't remember how things came apart. Also, when you take off the old hardware just lay it on a piece of cardboard the way it came off. The only thing to really remember is the shorter shoe always goes towards the front. And no, you cannot drive it without the back brakes, it will pop the pistons out of the wheel cylinders and you will have brake fluid everywhere.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought a used 99 TJ. The emergency brake wasn't working so I tore into fixing it. Turns out it had been converted to rear disc, so I learned a fair amount about the conversion.

Mine has the teraflex conversion, which it turns out is the rear disc brakes off a 98 Ford Explorer. Couple of comments on that. First, the surface area of the rotors, and the pads, are tiny. Seriously tiny. These are not monster stopping power brakes. I would seriously doubt whether they outperform the factory drum setup, particularly if you use quality shoes.

Second, you still have a drum to contend with. There is a mini -drum in the center that is the emergency brake. That is part of the reason for the small rotor/ pad. So, if you ever have to do new shoes for the e-brake, then you have to be able to do drums. In fact, i suppose you will have to do drums to put the conversion kit on.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Good advice here. Lay it out as you disassemble. Do one side at a time so you have a pattern. Get a brake spring tool.
I'll add... Google "wrangler rear brake job" and watch some videos

·
Registered
11 Posts
take your time

take a few pics. drum brakes and disc brakes are easy just drums take a little extra time. long needle nose (spring retainer pin) and a long strong screwdriver to pull on top spring are about all you need for tools.. the brake tools are easier but you don't really need them. the garage did the hardest part they got the drums off sometimes they are almost welded on from rust.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Really have to empasize with Viper. Back in the 50's to 80's I've done a lot of Ford and Gen Motors rear drum brakes on my own cars but looking at my 2001 Sahara's upcoming rear brake job is scaring me. So many springs, clips, and cables that I'm not that familiar with. Chrysler vehicles are good about things like this. I already have a new set of Wagner shoes but just haven't gotten up the guts to try it yet. Old shoes still have between 1/16" and 1/8" lining so not in a big hurry but don't want to wait too long and damage the drums.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really have to empasize with Viper. Back in the 50's to 80's I've done a lot of Ford and Gen Motors rear drum brakes on my own cars but looking at my 2001 Sahara's upcoming rear brake job is scaring me. So many springs, clips, and cables that I'm not that familiar with. Chrysler vehicles are good about things like this. I already have a new set of Wagner shoes but just haven't gotten up the guts to try it yet. Old shoes still have between 1/16" and 1/8" lining so not in a big hurry but don't want to wait too long and damage the drums.
Exactly, even looking at the parts to buy all the springs/hardware look different so I'm confuse witch one should I get to change all the current ones I have..

And having one side full of crud doesn't help..

Duralast/Brake Drum All-In-One Kit - Rear (H7276) | 1997 Jeep Wrangler 4WD 4 Cylinders P 2.5L MFI | AutoZone.com

Wearever Drum Brake Hardware Combi-Kit-7170 - Advance Auto Parts

NAPA AUTO PARTS

·
Registered
9 Posts
Attack the crud first and see if getting rid of it makes things clearer and helps you feel better about this.

Get a couple of aerosol cans of Brake Parts Cleaner. Lay out some good, plastic drop cloth or garbage bag. Go to town with the spray! Most of that crud will dissolve and drip off easily. Hit it with an old toothbrush to loosen some of it up, and keep spraying. You can pretty easily get the crud off and have a much better look at all the parts before dis-assembling.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I didn't go through everyone else's posts, but here's what to do.

If that's paint peeling off, then you've got a brake fluid leak on that side. Change out your brake cylinder. They're 10 bucks at napa(might as well replace both). Go get a small parts kit at napa, and go get some lifetime drum brakes at napa. Total cost? $50

Don't upgrade to disk brakes. Most of your stopping power comes from you front brakes anyways, and plus, you'll only be polishing a turd(d35)

Check out my "found my brake leak" thread I started, there's a link there that tells you step by step how to change drum brakes, with pictures. You should be done in a few hours.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the advice and the links. Ordered from Rockauto and some parts will be local. Going to do it myself and if I can't I have a Mobile mechanic refered from a friend that would do it for $80. Let you all know what happens.

Thanks again...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts