Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I think its about time for new tires

I currently have some 33x12.5×15 goodyears and im not very happy with them bad in the snow and rain. .

I am thinking of going to the 32x11.5x15 BFG AT..

im about 75-80 road 25-20 off theas days.. do you think this will be a improvement? or should I get a different tire.. thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have Kumho Road Venture A/T and love them. They have exelent road manners in both the dry and rain. They are really good in the snow too. They are not as aggressive as a Duratrac or the Cooper STT. They are more aggressive than most A/T tires though. I'm in the same boat as you. Mine Is a daily driver and weekend warrior and they have served me well. I don't think they make it in a 32" though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
elaborate if you can..

how bad are they in the snow?
I had them last winter (33x1250x15) and they spun on ice and snow when i would barley give it any gas. And in any type of mud they clump up in the treads and become slicks in the mud. But over the summer I got 33x1250 Goodyear Duratracs and its like the snow and ice isn't even there and they aren't too loud on the road and ride pretty nice for an "aggressive" tire

Not trying to shove the duratracs but they're a major improvement from the BFG A/T

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I had 33x12.50 bfg a/t and they were horrible in the snow. I now have the bfg a/t 33x10.50s and they are awesome. Must be because the skinnier tread. We've been getting hammered with snow here in the northeast and I'm very happy with these tires. As for ice, I don't know of any tire great on ice.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
elaborate if you can..

All terrains aren't well siped and in snow, they pack up and turn into a slick. For snow and ice conditions, siping is king and the more sipes cut into the tire, the better. Not to mention an all terrain has a big contact patch which makes them slide and skid more easily on slick streets. For Michigan's winter weather conditions, I'd get a skinny "pizza cutter" tire that is well siped and get a different tire for the summer.

The fine slits cut into this tire are sipes, the larger molded voids between the tread blocks are called kerfs.

·
Commercial Member
7,885 Posts
elaborate if you can..

Just in snow they are OK, but any type of ice and the jeep will lose traction. Lack of siping and the short wheel base. I've spun mine around in an icy street going very slow.
Unless you are willing to get a dedicated set of snow tires, it will be a compromise.

Many guys like the duratrac.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have got Goodyear wrangler duratracs and I think they are awsome my buddy of mine and I went mudding and he's got bfs on his and I blew through it like crazy and he just barely made it now In snow there pretty good I mean I would prefer them to anyone I know now ice is ice once you lose traction there is no coming back unless you know what your doing haha the past couple snow storms I haven't had any problem even tho my tires are pretty bald I haven't had a problem

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
I currently have some 33x12.5×15 goodyears and im not very happy with them bad in the snow and rain
what tire? i'm on my second set of duratracs and they perform very well on snow and ice

i could see the old style MTR's being bad on snow and ice, but most of the rest of their lines get solid reviews in winter conditions

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not a 33" tire, but I run 265/70/r17 Falken Wild Peaks and have been very happy with them on the road - they handle very well in wet, and got along just fine in the snow we had here in DC last week.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I have had 33" Duratracs in deep snow, goopy mud, dry sand, dirt, heavy rain...and have been very pleased with them. You should see about 45,000-50,000 out of a set for daily driving.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts