Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '05 TJ with a 4.0, 6 SPEED, and 3.73 gears.
I want to go up to a 33X10.50R15. I would like to know from people with the same set up if they had to re-gear or if they were ok on and off road. The more info the better. THANK YOU!:drinks:

·
Registered
384 Posts
I recently asked a similar question. You are going to need some lift as well. 2" SL and 1" BL was approved by several forum memebrs and that is what I currently have. Going to be getting 33x10.50 KO2 tires

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
running a 4 inch skyjacker lift so im good there
decided to run down the 31's before upgrading.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am currently running 33/10.50/15s. With a 4.0 5-speed and 3.73 gears it was OK on the road, but i always felt like i needed the gearing of 4low while off-road. I did swap to 4.56 gears and it is SOOO much better now. But yes you can do it, and it will be Ok.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a 4.0, 5spd, and 3.73 with 32x11.50. Definitely have to downshift a little more often on the highway but I'm still happy. Still does great around town.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anybody have a 6 speed tho?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the same set up you're going for and it really isn't horrible around town and lighter trails, but I'm not too sure about interstate driving. Launches from a stop could be better, but that's coming from a guy who dailied an old AMG for a year. Overall I would say go for it, if anything you could regear later

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the same set up you're going for and it really isn't horrible around town and lighter trails, but I'm not too sure about interstate driving. Launches from a stop could be better, but that's coming from a guy who dailied an old AMG for a year. Overall I would say go for it, if anything you could regear later
I figured id be okay as far as starting off from a stop since 1st is so damn low. and others have said it just takes more downshifting on the highway. Thanks for the response. I don't plan on rock crawling, yet, just bopping around on a few trails for now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Forgot to mention I'm in south MS which is flat as a fritter so I have 0 experience with hills

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Girlfriends LJ 3.73s 6 speed on 35x12.5r15s A/T tires is ok for PA hills she gets 12-15mpg. she drives it daily. if this helps you.
Helps alot. Not in the hills like you are, but answered my question. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts