Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been using TOYO Open Country R/T 35x12.5R18 for a while and LOVE them. But I am open to something else.

Since I am on 18's the Patagonia tires my size are on in F rating and just as heavy. Same with Nitto Ridge grapplers.

The TOYO OC A/T are heavier and i will loose some mud traction.

My only complaint with he R/T is weight and they are now the best in standing water on the streets and hydroplane easly.

Only tires I can think of is the BFG KM3?

Edit:
My Wrangler JKU is my DD.
The off roading I do is sand, mud, roots, etc. Florida ORV Parks.
So can be thick or soft mud. Packed sand or sugar sand.
Forrest terrain, roads, etc. no rock crawling. Do plan on heading to GA and Tenn soon to ride.
But no moab or major rock crawling.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're about to be asked your primary use. Commute, sand, mud or trips to Georgia for rocks and mud.

You're also about to get 200 opinions of everyones personal tires on their jeeps.

Yeah I know. But suggestions on tires and I can do my research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I put those Coopers on my Cummins Ram.
I Really like them. Excellent in rain and snow, damn quit too.
Probably put them on my JK when the ST MAXX's wear out.

Reactions: DIRT BOY

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
Baja MTZ P3 is D rated in 35x12.5x18. Very popular tire...

Weighs 70lbs.

Reactions: DIRT BOY

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Weighs 70lbs.

Mickeys? About same weight at the E Rated R/T. But maybe D might be nice. I don’t feel the E is harsh.

Reactions: Pressurized

·
Registered
290 Posts
I went from Toyo R/T's to Maxxis Razr MT. I am only keeping these on my jeep from now on. I still have the R/T on my truck. They both did great on longevity, the MT is obviously more aggressive but honestly I don't think its any louder and it is lasting about as long. If you can get it in the right sizing and want to make a change it comes highly recommended.

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
Mickeys? About same weight at the E Rated R/T. But maybe D might be nice. I don’t feel the E is harsh.

I've been the E route with multiple tires and now that I have the D's, I can't see going back. But it's also the Patagonia's and I think their rounded profile is always going to ride better than a square profile tire.

The Mickey's are a really popular choice. And would be much better in the mud and sand.

Good luck!

Reactions: jdinny and DIRT BOY

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Weighs 70lbs.

Looks good. Most reviews seems great. They are NOT cheap. Mote than my R/T. But if I get better wet weather traction, might be worth it.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been the E route with multiple tires and now that I have the D's, I can't see going back. But it's also the Patagonia's and I think their rounded profile is always going to ride better than a square profile tire.

The Mickey's are a really popular choice. And would be much better in the mud and sand.

Good luck!

Had E on my 2004 Explorer and felt ok. But yeah, previous D was smoother.
On my JKU, The R/T feel not that much harsher/stiffer than the stock bridgestones

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went from Toyo R/T's to Maxxis Razr MT. I am only keeping these on my jeep from now on. I still have the R/T on my truck. They both did great on longevity, the MT is obviously more aggressive but honestly I don't think its any louder and it is lasting about as long. If you can get it in the right sizing and want to make a change it comes highly recommended.

Thanks. Never considered Maxxis. Not a fan of their bike tires but a different thing. Will look at them. The R/T are kick butt in everything but standing water. Mud and deep sand performance has been great. Quiet and wear well.

Reactions: sheepythejku

·
Premium Member
9,609 Posts

Weighs 70lbs.
I have had very good luck with mine, close to 40K on them now and probably good for another 10K. Pretty quite tire also as MT go.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
you should add Falken at3w to your list.

·
Premium Member
9,609 Posts
........But if I get better wet weather traction, might be worth it........
I think a lot of has to do with being a coastal state. I don't know about Florida but on the coast in Mississippi they used sea shells as aggregate in the asphalt. There is not a tire made that sticks to that when it is wet.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you should add Falken at3w to your list.

Loved Falkens on my civic si in the 90s.

Good in mud for a AT? I know you had/have R/T so you knownwhat those are like

·
Registered
197 Posts
Loved Falkens on my civic si in the 90s.

Good in mud for a AT? I know you had/have R/T so you knownwhat those are like

Every review I have read is that the Falken AT3W is hands down the best AT on the market at the moment especially for wet weather and snow, problem is they have all agreed the AT3W is horrible in mud.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Tampa area here, same type of trails... Cooper STT Pro is pretty popular in these parts. I do run them myself. Great on the trail. A bit of a buzz on the road. I haven't had any issues on wet roads, but I'm not pushing it either. 15k miles and they are wearing very well.

It cracks me up that whenever Florida is mentioned on the forum, inevitably someone will talk about driving on the beach. There are extremely few beaches here that you are allowed to drive on. And the big famous one is so hard packed that my mom's minivan can handle it.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Thanks. Never considered Maxxis. Not a fan of their bike tires but a different thing. Will look at them. The R/T are kick butt in everything but standing water. Mud and deep sand performance has been great. Quiet and wear well.

Love their MTB tires (I used to test the prototypes :bop:) and Initial impressions on the RAZR is positive. Quiet on the highway and needed very little weight to balance. Price was right at Discount tire. Haven't had them off-road yet.

That said, the STT Pro was excellent in the panhandle sand. After one year of heavy use they still had 11-12/32 of tread left.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts