Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and gentlemen.. It has been three long years since I had to trade in my 07 JKU for a more accommodating vehicle for 2 infants. But after many discussions with the wifey, we agree that it's time to jump back in the saddle!

Quick question for those of you without the power package (windows/doors) on a JKU - how inconvenient is that really? I'm look at a 2016 JKU that already has a dealer installed 2.5" suspension lift, 33" tires and rampage bumpers, BUT no power windows or doors. I'm leaning heavily on still jumping on this because it comes with many options i'd want to play with later anyhow.

Cant wait!

PittJeep

Attachments

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Power is a must IMO. You will regret it if you don't get it. Buy the Jeep with the options you need/want. A lift can be done for a fraction of the cost of what the dealer is charging for it.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
What brand lift? The tires being the old KO design is a slight red flag for me, I'd want to look at the manufacture year on them.

The power package really depends on how long you plan to keep it. Anything less than four years I'd likely pass as I could see it being difficult on the resale end.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Nice looking jeep. Power locks you can add aftermarket cheaply. Power windows...ehhh
I personally cannot imagine going back to crank Windows. My first truck at 16 had them and I have enjoyed power for the past 20 years.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I don't lock my doors unless I'm in a city, which isn't very often, and I don't have kids so power door locks aren't really an issue for me. I suspect it wouldn't be too much of a problem for you either at times, but I think if you're in a parking lot holding one of the kids while keeping a close eye on the other and trying to keep the shopping cart from rolling away, unlocking the front door then reaching into the back to unlock the child's door, you're probably going to wish you had a key that could have unlocked all of your doors with the press of a button 20 feet earlier and much less child juggling.

Power windows I think are less of an issue. But these are grouped with the power package if I remember right.

Also, power mirrors are a plus.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
If you can get a 2015 and the difference in cost should cover power easily. Also, I would get one stock and do the lift yourself. Nothing special going on with that rig that you can't do yourself instead of financing a lift/labor that went into that lift.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should say that this wont be the daily driver I'm putting the kids in, we have a Honda Odyssey for that. but that said, I have all the same thoughts that you guys are sharing.

This just seems to be the best combo of add ons and price I could find, especially on a brand new one - It's listed for $30,700, so i'm torn.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've got a JK, not a JKU so my opinion won't matter as much. My '15 doesn't have power windows/locks, and it doesn't bother me a bit. Actually, I requested no power when looking for my Jeep. If I had a JKU, I bet I would've opted for power stuff. Just easier with 4 doors. Remember too, that in the long run its much cheaper and far less hassle to buy it the way you want now, vs adding things later like power windows/locks. Over the years I've learned that lesson the hard (expensive) way.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I wouldn't want manual windows even if it isn't a dedicated kid hauler. The first time you load them up and have to go somewhere, walking around locking/unlocking all the doors. Never mind being unable to raise/lower the window for them since chances are they won't be able to reach the crank from a booster seat.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you all are 100% right, I can't compromise on the power options. Plus half the fun on my last one was adding to it on my own.

Found another one for about the same price I may have to check out this weekend!

Attachments

·
Most Interesting
750 Posts
Highly agree with this! On a 2 door, not a problem, but a 4 door MUST (IMHO) have power group. I couldn't imagine reaching back to manually unlock the back doors (and manually locking them) everytime someone hops in. Also, venting the cabin with power windows is something I couldn't do without.

Power is a must IMO. You will regret it if you don't get it. Buy the Jeep with the options you need/want. A lift can be done for a fraction of the cost of what the dealer is charging for it.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
On a 4 door - No way. Ignore the current aesthetics those can be added anytime and as mentioned very cost effectively. Power options on a 4door are a must IMO.

Especially with Kids.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I should say that this wont be the daily driver I'm putting the kids in, we have a Honda Odyssey for that. but that said, I have all the same thoughts that you guys are sharing. This just seems to be the best combo of add ons and price I could find, especially on a brand new one - It's listed for $30,700, so i'm torn.
I think you may be confused and I don't like when dealers do this. I'd bet that if this one is brand new it is not 30,700 in that form. I bet you that's the msrp before the lift, wheels, etc. I've gone to a dealer before and it was the same case, actually 10 grand more than listed on their website. It's pretty common by me unfortunately.
Have you looked at it in person yet?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Boy when we ordered ours and I first got it with all the power, I felt completely spoiled- and even guilty- with all the "luxury" stuff. I mean, this is a Jeep after all, correct?

Now, I am completely, utterly, and in all other ways totally addicted to the electronic toys.

You get the best of both worlds: with the doors on, it's really in many ways like any car with the conveniences associated with one. But when you want to play Marlboro man, pull the doors and boom, you have instant trail cred.

To put it succinctly, I think you're nuts if you don't get the power toys. Looking down the road, it might impact resale as well as most come with the toys (probably for a reason) and the dealer put all the other doo dads on there to compensate for a vehicle they were having a hard time unloading.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I am confused as to what could be inconvenient about the power. You have to reach into the same area to disconnect the harness as you do the door limiting straps. Also it's not like on the TJ where you had to remove a fuse to stop the damn dome light from staying on.

I would personally find a Rubi with 4.10s. I bought mine with 4.10s and I love it, and it's ready for the 35s when the time comes. I also wouldn't but anything that the dealer has installed parts on. Thats a big money maker for them. Harley Davidson is the same way. I refused to buy my bike off the floor. I wanted it ordered with I wanted, and that was it. I paid significantly less than what was on the floor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts