Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KJeeper and I have officially diagnosed my balljoints as starting to crap out. A mysterious squeak and clunk led us to find the offenders. I am now shopping new ball joints and stumbled on these:

Alloy USA® JK H/D ball joints:

11800 - 4 Piece Upper And Lower Performance Ball Joint Kit 2007-UP Wranglers

I know that Synergy is the gold standard here, but I made it about 40K+ miles before having a problem with OEM quality, don't think I will still have this same Jeep in another 40K miles, so I don't want to spring for the full $250 for the Synergy kit. This kit looks to offer the same or very similar attributes as the Synergy and I am imagining is a middle ground between the cheapo oem and most expensive. I am running Rubi take offs, moving up to "the combo" soon, would rather keep saving for that than ball joints...35's are not in my future.

So, anyone out there with any experience with these ball joints in particular? For another $50 over OEM quality, I am willing to be the guinea pig here.

BTW, anyone in CT have a ball joint press I could borrow? I will pay for labor and tool rental in good beer :thumb:

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
No experience with these but if there is any truth in the description they are a marked improvement over OEM.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Just about anything should be an improvement over OEM. I installed the Synergy myself and got the 4x4 Ball Joint install kit from Harbor Freight. I'll be up that way for the week of Thanksgiving, if you haven'tdone it before then, let me know and I can bring my kit.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
The clunk you heard, was it most noticeable when going over railroad tracks or washboard type roads? I'm still on the stock joints and there fine so far. 33K on the odometer and I'm running 63lbs tires.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
ESP said:
The clunk you heard, was it most noticeable when going over railroad tracks or washboard type roads? I'm still on the stock joints and there fine so far. 33K on the odometer and I'm running 63lbs tires.
Morning ESP.

Washboard roads yes. It was a squeak and at times a subtle clunk,

I also had a clunk that when away after replacing the balljoints.

30-40k is not uncommon for the stock ball joints to go.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Morning ESP.

Washboard roads yes. It was a squeak and at times a subtle clunk,

I also had a clunk that when away after replacing the balljoints.

30-40k is not uncommon for the stock ball joints to go.
Shhhhh...don't tell me that before coffee this morning.

·
Registered
327 Posts
34,000 on mine and new ball joints needed. Thinking about replacing the the knuckles as well.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
:facepalm:

guess i'll do suspension, wheel bearing AND ball joints next year. geez!

::looks for that tom hanks movie from the 80's when the buy a crap house::
Money Pit.

·
Registered
765 Posts
You guessed it! lol

oh yeah.. forgot breaks and tires too.. i better get them gears/truetracs in before the money pit deepens

1 - 14 of 14 Posts