Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, 91-4.0, rebuilding. got the timing chain on today and it just barely clears the front of the block. How much clearance there its normal / acceptable?
second, after putting on the slinger ring and timing chain cover, then harmonic balancer, the balancer touches the cover before it even gets torqued down. Cannot figure out why. All components are behind it properly, there just seems to be not enough room. The new timing gears are same thickness as original, the crank was not shortened so no clue as to why it will not fit. Anyone had a similar problem or know of a fix? maybe slide a 16th inch washer in to spread them?

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
I had this problem with my engine. Does the new timing gear have the recess for the oil slinger washer? the new one I got didn't have a big enough recess for it so it touched the timing cover when torqued down like you're saying.

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
What did you do to fix it?
You're not going to like this. I had to send the manufacturer my original timing gear to create a template to manufacture one for my engine. It was a royal pain in the butt. I have the 258 though, so slightly different motor. Take a picture of the two gears side by side and see if the recess on the new one is off or not as deep.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oy vey. I'll have to check that.i know a real good machinist that could probably fix that for me if its an issue. I'm contemplating having him make a spacer to go behind the cam.sprocket that fits the shaft exactly. This should move my cam sprocket out so the chain isn't so close and should move the harmonic balancer out so it isnt touching the cover. maybe move them out .125..... its not affecting anything internally and shouldn't cause any issues for the chain or balancer. How do you feel abt that?

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
Oy vey. I'll have to check that.i know a real good machinist that could probably fix that for me if its an issue. I'm contemplating having him make a spacer to go behind the cam.sprocket that fits the shaft exactly. This should move my cam sprocket out so the chain isn't so close and should move the harmonic balancer out so it isnt touching the cover. maybe move them out .125..... its not affecting anything internally and shouldn't cause any issues for the chain or balancer. How do you feel abt that?
I would try to take it to the machinist that you know, if they have a way of clamping it down right. The shop I went to didn't have a way to clamp it other than on the teeth, and that could chip or break the teeth obviously. As for the spacer behind the cam sprocket I don't know if I would want to slide the cam over it might cause other problems...but that is just me. I'll see if I can dig out that picture of my timing gear side by side.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
The gear on the right was not even machined, must have been a foreign knock off..

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
I couldn't tell ya it was my mechanic that ordered the stuff and I wouldn't really trust him. The rebuild cost me $3500. Yeah ouch

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just realised I've caused some confusion. I was saying cam sprocket earlier but meaning CRANK sprocket!
so my issue was / is where the timing chain goes around the crank sprocket, the chain was maybe 1/32 off the front journal for the crank shaft AND when I put the slinger timing cover and harmonic balancer on. The balancer was touching the cover well before it ever got to full.torque. I was afraid if I tightened it all the way down would crush the cover. And guaranteed would have ground through the cover in a matter of minutes.
after looking at every possible problem point I finally decided my solution. Went to a machinist with my old crank sprocket. He took the measurements he needed and made me a bushing 1/8(.125) thick to go behind the crank sprocket. This pushed the chain out off of the journal and the balancer off of the cover. physically, this works fine, HOPEFULLY it also works mechanically and causes no issues. I'll let yall know after I get it running if I have any issues. Thanks!

Lock Cylinder Hardware accessory

here is the balancer and the gap that is now btwn it and the timing chain cover. That is an oil pan bolt (3/8) for size reference.

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
Ah that makes quite a difference my bad lol. that looks like it should work. Hopefully the space doesn't move the belts out too far don't want those slipping off

1 - 12 of 12 Posts