Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Timing chain noise drives me crazy on my 2000 tj 2.5l
Is there any reason why I need to install the cheesy timing chain tensioner? What is the drawback to just leaving it out? it seems to me that the worst that can happen down the road is the chain might, and I stress, MIGHT start to rub the timing chain cover. I thought of attaching a thin strip of UHMW to the cover to avoid the chain rubbing the cover. Even with a new chain and tensioner it makes noise. Could the oil pump not be pumping enough oil to lubricate the chain adequately?

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
After replacing my chain and tensioner on my 2.5 the noise all but disappeared, why would you want to eliminate the tension device. How is your oil pressure.

·
Registered
787 Posts
did you replace the little rubber bumper also along with the tensioner? did you replace the oil slinger? since you have a new chain and tensioner, could the noise be coming from some other location? what brand replacement did you use? did you replace the gears and chain together? seems everyone thinks "Cloyes" gears and chains are best, what I used on 3 different jeeps 2 2.5's and one 4.0. none have had any more problems

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did replace all components with melling set, after about 1000 miles, noise became just as loud as before I changed chain.
Took apart only to find the rubber had self destructed.
Oil pressure is good once it comes up to pressure, takes about 10 - 15 seconds.
I did not replace the oil slinger, it is in good shape.

·
Registered
787 Posts
the rubber bumper? you must have another problem. don't know of anything that would cause the bumper to self destruct. if the tensioner is working correctly the chain should not be loose enough to get into the bumper. do you have a picture?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts