Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1992 YJ. Harmonic balancer shot. Replacing it. No real issues until I put the new timing cover on and realized no matter that i do the stinking holes on the bottom through oil pan are not lined up. Anyone else deal with this? Is there some trick?

·
Super Moderator
12,676 Posts
Welcome to the Forum matthewLgoodwin,

What motor do you have?
Are you sure you have the correct year timing cover and/or oil pan for your particular engine?
Could you have a different engine than came with your Jeep when it was manufactured?

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Retired Moderator
100,535 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Did you happen to compare the new timing cover to the old one to verify it appears correct?

First step of elimination I would think.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,929 Posts
It may just be the angle of the pic and the color difference, but there appears to be a couple of extra holes at the top of the old one as well as a slight difference in overall length?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Put the old one on cardboard and trace shape and all holes.... could just spray paint around it... then compare new one to your new template.... if anything is different you need a different cover

·
Super Moderator
12,676 Posts
I'd return the incorrect cover. Did you buy it online or at a local auto parts store?
Does your Jeep have the original engine? Look for a boss on the block between #2 and #3 cylinder. Clean off that boss and write down the number you find there.
Post it here so someone can tell you what year engine you have, or find a post by Got it at last and click on the link in his signature for free access to a Factory Service Manual for your Jeep. In the FSM there is a section that tells you how to read the alphanumeric code on the boss.

Once you know what year motor you have and assuming that the oil pan is original to your current motor block, you have a better chance of getting the correct timing cover.

Your issue could be that the seller simply sold you the wrong timing cover and you still have the original engine in your Jeep. Or that the cover you bought was mismanufactured.

I wouldn't attempt to drill and tap the cover you have.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Yep, if the holes are in the wrong place it's a no brainer... the cover is either defective or otherwise incorrect

·
Super Moderator
12,676 Posts
Clean the old timing cover and look for a part number somewhere on it. Then you can take it with you to compare with a new or used cover.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts