Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have factory tinted windows on my new JKU. Anyone know a specific cleaner that will be safe to use on the tint? I read somewhere to NOT use ammonia based cleaners (like windex) so I am looking for an ammonia free one. Any ideas or experiences? Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
factory tint and aftermarket tint are different.
1. factory tint is in the glass
2. aftermarket tint is a film that is placed on the outside of the glass that can be pulled off
for cleaner you are correct you should not use windex it will over time change the color of the aftermarket tint on some it will look kinda purple other vary by make.
you can go to any auto parts store and buy window cleaner safe for tinted windows

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, odd. On the sticker it says window tint (assuming from factory?) but i can definitely feel the film over the window. Anyone have a brand preference?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Meguiars D120. Check it out on the autogeek detailing forum.
Just used some this week end. Dilutes 11:1 Great cleaner and great value.

Get some microfiber waffle towels. I use 16" x 16" but 16" x 24" would not be a bad size either.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Okay, odd. On the sticker it says window tint (assuming from factory?) but i can definitely feel the film over the window. Anyone have a brand preference?
If you can feel the tint, it's not from the factory.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Invisible Glass by Stoner <--- hehe.

Great stuff, have used it for years. Safe for tinted windows.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool guys. Thanks!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Factory tint, any glass cleaner. Aftermarket film, cool water with a little dish soap, just like the expensive eyeglass cleaners.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Are we talking soft top or hard top? Hard top should have no issues with whatever you use. When I'm running with my soft top, I pack a small spray bottle of "Greenworks" glass cleaner. No ammonia.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Windex makes a vinegar cleaner for glass - no ammonia. I use that - no problems to date, and i literally SCRUB dog slobber off my tinted glass.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Factory tint you can use any glass cleaner... And you should not feel anything, tint is in the glass... All my Jeeps and any other vehicle I had with tints were factory and you can use Windex..If you feel a film, not factory tinted

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well there is definitely a film there, so i guess it was aftermarket on a brand new jeep? lol. oh well. So it sounds like you all gave good options. I think i might have some of that sprayway stuff at home but im gonna double check to see if theres ammonia. otherwise i may just use diluted soap and water.

side note: why is there a film on a new jeep and not built into the glass? is it something the dealer did?

EDIT: its a hardtop, but only worried about the roll up windows on the 4 doors.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So, since we are always encouraging people to use the search, let's make this thread useful to anyone looking for tinted window cleaner. I have the ($495 Grrr) "Deep Tent Sunscreen Windows" and want to make sure I am using a safe window cleaner on them.

I would love to buy Meguier's products (like the D120), but I don't need gallon jugs. I just bought a 32oz bottle of Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax because the Meguier's D115 only comes in gallons. I try to live small. I'd rather spend 1/2 the gallon price on 1/4 of a gallon than have to store a gallon of every product I need. I may be alone in that though.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I have been using liquid car wax/detailer for over 20 years. Takes dog nose prints, nicotine, everything that I have run across without streaking. On 3M tint to the cheap stuff you buy at WallyWorld. Plus the windows slide real easy when rolling up or down.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Well there is definitely a film there, so i guess it was aftermarket on a brand new jeep? lol. oh well. So it sounds like you all gave good options. I think i might have some of that sprayway stuff at home but im gonna double check to see if theres ammonia. otherwise i may just use diluted soap and water.

side note: why is there a film on a new jeep and not built into the glass? is it something the dealer did?

EDIT: its a hardtop, but only worried about the roll up windows on the 4 doors.
If the film is only on the hard top glass then most likely the hard top didn't have the "deep tint" option and the dealer added an aftermarket tint. The windshield and door glass has tint from the factory but it's a light tint. If you have the film there the dealer added a deeper tint aftermarket. JK's don't come with tint from the factory that's applied with a film. It's manufactured into the glass.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've had two JKs and both of them had factory tint on the hard top glass and the rear doors. Jeep does not make tinted front windows for legal reasons (illegal to tint at all in many states). If you have tint on the front windows, it is a dealer add-on and is a film. In many cases they ALSO apply film to the rear and hard top windows to make it darker and to better reject heat/UV. The factory tint has poor heat rejection characteristics.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did some digging and it appears that in vegas (the original dealer) they added the front tint hence the film i can see. It wasnt on my window sticker which is odd, but hey i got it for free.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts