Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been a couple threads on a search for half door uppers with tinted windows for JKs. Nobody had found anything as of a couple months ago. Anyone have any success?

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Don't think they make them......

·
Vendor
5,681 Posts
Can't speak for other companies, but Bestop manufacturers the windows to meet 50-state requirements for tint. For front windows, that's virtually untinted.

Some states either specifically allow darker tint, or at least ignore it. That's not a problem for cars and trucks with real glass: they can be tinted with a film. Vinyl windows need to be tinted when they're manufactured.

We've never seen a real successful aftermarket tinting, although we do hear of people using film or spray-ons. I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't speak for other companies, but Bestop manufacturers the windows to meet 50-state requirements for tint. For front windows, that's virtually untinted.

Some states either specifically allow darker tint, or at least ignore it. That's not a problem for cars and trucks with real glass: they can be tinted with a film. Vinyl windows need to be tinted when they're manufactured.

We've never seen a real successful aftermarket tinting, although we do hear of people using film or spray-ons. I wouldn't recommend it.
But Geoff, do you guys make the half door uppers for JKs? The only ones I can find is Mopar. I'm about to buy your sailcloth tinted top but can't find anything on the doors for J/Ks?

·
Vendor
5,681 Posts
But Geoff, do you guys make the half door uppers for JKs? The only ones I can find is Mopar. I'm about to buy your sailcloth tinted top but can't find anything on the doors for J/Ks?
We sell two piece doors for JKs: soft uppers and lowers combined.

We do not yet sell just the soft upper doors. This is because very few JK owners got their Jeeps with factory lower steel doors (it's really a very small number).

If you have the factory steel half doors, I think you may be limited to Mopar right now. It's possible you can buy our Element door uppers and make them fit, BUT you need to call customer support and double check first.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We sell two piece doors for JKs: soft uppers and lowers combined.

We do not yet sell just the soft upper doors. This is because very few JK owners got their Jeeps with factory lower steel doors (it's really a very small number).

If you have the factory steel half doors, I think you may be limited to Mopar right now. It's possible you can buy our Element door uppers and make them fit, BUT you need to call customer support and double check first.
Thanks Geoff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Geoff when you say that there was only a small number of JK sold with factory lower steel doors a very small number what is that small number your talking about . what has been the production numbers for JK built

thanks

·
Vendor
5,681 Posts
Total JK production numbers are about 80-95k per year, with 2009 being the lowest year. About 2/3rds (if I remember correctly) were 4 door models.

I do not have the data on numbers sold with half doors -- plus, it would be inaccurate, since many of the half door people bought them from Mopar after the purchase. For the first few years, Mopar didn't have a "half door" part number: you needed to order them piecemeal, with a bunch of separate part numbers (like you would if you were a body shop doing a repair). They now have an aftermarket "two half doors" kit number. And the price dropped a LOT when they bundled the doors together.

So, no, I don't have the exact numbers for claiming it's "very low," but I am confident I'm right. Plus, the guys in product planning do have the real numbers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts