Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been lookin at buyin all new zip in tinted windows for my jeep but i was wondering if i could just take my original clear windows to a tint shop and have them tint them? If i cant do that ill just buy the replacement tinted ones... Btw if i buy just the windows from say best top will they line up with my original soft top?

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
I doubt tinting plastic windows would work. Bestop makes the OEM top, they will fit just fine. I've debated getting them myself, but will probably just wait until I need them.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
You could probably sell the clears for a few dollars. Make back a little of what you spent on the the tints.

Bestop has some of the "best", lol stuff around. There shoud be no problems with fit. Like Dagg said, your top is already from bestop.

·
Vendor
5,676 Posts
The tint that a shop puts on is a film. Factory tinted vinyl windows are tinted all the way thru, chemically, when the vinyl is made.

I've heard of a few people who have put the tint on their windows, but I've never heard of long term success. The issues with the film is that when the vinyl bends, expands, contracts, gets rolled up, etc., the film will eventually separate, bubble, and look cruddy.

Putting that sticky film on your windows is probably not reversible. Not certain if this is true.

In other words, I wouldn't do it, unless I was planning on scrapping the windows anyway.

---------------

Make sure that, if you buy replacement windows, they match the year and the top.
If you have a factory top, you can get Bestop Replace-A-Top windows, our factory window kits, or MOPAR. Not positive if any of our competitors even sell windows.

The year is important: at some point (2003?) they reversed the direction of the zippers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I currently have a Pavement Ends softtop but don't think they offer tinted replacement windows. Therefore, I'm curious if anyone knows if Bestop windows would fit with Pavement Ends top?

ANY HELP is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
60 Posts
I remember a while back a buddy used spray tint to tint headlight lenses and it came out pretty slick. Im sure it would work fine and whats the worst that happens? You buy new windows anyway? Try it and let us know how it works... Better yet, maybe I will!

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
I remember a while back a buddy used spray tint to tint headlight lenses and it came out pretty slick. Im sure it would work fine and whats the worst that happens? You buy new windows anyway? Try it and let us know how it works... Better yet, maybe I will!
The worst problem with that plan is that headlight lenses aren't flexible.... plastic windows are, and they get flexed a lot. I don't want to see the mess that comes flaking off the windows after a few weeks of use. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend you ruin your windows with spray tint.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, before I went the spray route, I'd really like to find out if the Bestop windows will fit the Pavement Ends top. Thx for input!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Extra dark sunglasses and BOOM all your windows are tinted!

Btw I've got tinted and they are awesome looking hope you get some

1 - 12 of 12 Posts