Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been years and years the last time I got a Jeeps Windows Tinted .
Living in Indiana and miles from a bigger town I need help .
I bought my Wrangler last week a two door a 2017 , The windows are clear so i need to have that fixed , What is out I need to know about .
Thinking about 35% all around not to dark maybe less do not know yet .

Thank You

·
Registered
194 Posts
It has been years and years the last time I got a Jeeps Windows Tinted .
Living in Indiana and miles from a bigger town I need help .
I bought my Wrangler last week a two door a 2017 , The windows are clear so i need to have that fixed , What is out I need to know about .
Thinking about 35% all around not to dark maybe less do not know yet .

Thank You
What's your state limit and do inspection stations check tint?

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
Your local window tinter should be able to help you with regards to what is Legal in your state and what is appropriate for your needs. I recently redid the tint on my tow rig, it was so dark you couldn't safely see at dusk without rolling the windows down. I told the tinter I wanted the lightest tint available, he suggested a slightly darker tint, which was perfect. I left the rear windows alone with the dark tint, 85%, I think.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's your state limit and do inspection stations check tint?
Really we do not have a State limit or State inspection We in Indiana live free
And it will stay that way . I see some so dark no way can the driver see much if anything . I seen a Pickup Truck with 35% it was very nice and still a lot of light .

·
Registered
194 Posts
Really we do not have a State limit or State inspection We in Indiana live free
And it will stay that way . I see some so dark no way can the driver see much if anything . I seen a Pickup Truck with 35% it was very nice and still a lot of light .
I live in MA..where they are very very strict on tint...I went with 23%..because that's what the rear measured at. Enough light in but enough privacy

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Just remember that the side windows are flat and nearly vertical. I had mine tinted like my truck and at night, it was difficult to see out of them and the interior lights reflected off the windows. Outside of a well lit urban street, it was unsafe.

I took it back and had them do a much lighter tint. Now, I am much happier being able to see without rolling down the windows.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just did our 21016 clear windows. Live in Illinois and the limit is 35%. I went 20% all way around except front. Front was not touched. Great in daytime, and still ok in nighttime. I WAS going to go with 5% on the back until I saw a YouTube showing the differences between clear and 5% at night. TOO DARK! The police typically don't bother you on window tint in Illinois....unless maybe if it gets close to month-end quota time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just did our 21016 clear windows. Live in Illinois and the limit is 35%. I went 20% all way around except front. Front was not touched. Great in daytime, and still ok in nighttime. I WAS going to go with 5% on the back until I saw a YouTube showing the differences between clear and 5% at night. TOO DARK! The police typically don't bother you on window tint in Illinois....unless maybe if it gets close to month-end quota time.

Can't edit but it's 2016, but you knew that already.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is my daily driver(2017 Rubicon )and may go any place at any time . I retired 5 years ago and at 70 years old in so so health but have very good eyes . I have had four Jeeps over a lot of years so not new to this new Wrangler . My last one an 05 X I put a Diesel in it and it ran great but my son had to have it so it all starts over .

·
Registered
503 Posts
Did my wife's 2017 jku and had them match the back door factory tint. Technically its not legal in Kansas but its very close. The place that did the tint did make me sign a waiver though.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really did not think 35% was that dark but could be wrong . I will drive 50 miles to find a shop to do a tint and will need to see what I like . I do not like going to dark I would hear about it from the wife .

·
Registered
533 Posts
I went with ceramic tint all the way around....SERIOUSLY keeps out the heat. Put Air80 on the windshield.....waaaaaay less South Texas heat inside!

·
Registered
43 Posts
According to the internet (so it must be true) Indiana tint limit is 30%, so you would be fine with 35%. You can still see in with 35%, but it does help. I agree with the ceramic tint. It seriously keeps out the heat. I'm in Missouri, legal on front door windows is 35%, but I did 20% to match the existing factory tint. I know lots of people with their windows tinted, but only know one person stopped for tint in Missouri - they had 5%...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Indiana's window tint Law

Indiana Law enacted: 2003
Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Indiana, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in the window.
Windshield - Non-reflective film is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side Windows - Must allow 30% of light in.
Back Side Windows - Must allow 30% of light in.
Rear Window - Must allow 30% of light in.
There is a medical exemption in the law

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Talked to some people (3) one place called Pro-Tint will do all five pre cut for $175.00
The other two a little cheaper is this the going rate ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Talked to some people (3) one place called Pro-Tint will do all five pre cut for $175.00

The other two a little cheaper is this the going rate ?

Not bad. Mine was $210. Cool thing on shop I used (Springfield, IL) is they use a computer operated template cutter. Plug in your vehicle, the window, and it pre-cuts it out. They then mount it. No knife to the glass.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not bad. Mine was $210. Cool thing on shop I used (Springfield, IL) is they use a computer operated template cutter. Plug in your vehicle, the window, and it pre-cuts it out. They then mount it. No knife to the glass.

The Pro-Tint Shop also cuts with the computer Operated Cutter I ask .
I think I like idea a bunch

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I don't recall what mine are at but I have them matched almost perfectly to the rear on the factory "deep tint." So figure it's that tint minus like 3% or something, 'cuz the factory windows are also slightly tinted.

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
Not bad. Mine was $210. Cool thing on shop I used (Springfield, IL) is they use a computer operated template cutter. Plug in your vehicle, the window, and it pre-cuts it out. They then mount it. No knife to the glass. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got a quote for $130 for my Subaru Outback. My 2 windows in my F350 ran $60.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts